APC Forum

Shell wrapper

rcfun42

Not using the current motor that spins the ring gear. That motor is maxed out in the video and the shell rpm is probably turned down to 3 rpm. Spinning the shell faster would mean you would need a faster motor to spin the wrapper.

The motor is fine for single angle, a faster shell motor would give the option of using more than one angle ;) The commercial machines use a fixed tape speed, eg 100rpm and a variable shell motor which saves the cost of a second speed controller. A 20rpm gearmotor should cost about the same as a 3.5rpm, maybe a little less as there`s less gears :)

Well finished up machine and everything doing OK but the clamp bearing will not stay lined up and starts to wobble off when it is wrapping shell. I think i'm using the right bearing and starts good then wobble wobble tape runs off track and then the words start but guess i'll try something different now any suggestions...

Did u add the support bearing that goes and supports the long c-clamp shaft like I have mine? Also you need to make certain that that the shell is lined up directly in the center of the ring gear bearing. If it is offset then the tape dispenser arm with the spring on it will just push the shell off center and cause it to wobble. It took me several times of tacking the upright support and trying the machine to get it to where it is in the center. That's the hardest part of building the machine IMO.

Once u have your angle set to where u want it you need to have the correct height of the shell sticking up so the tape will get dispensed correctly and also you have to have the upright centered. So you really are dealing with lining three things up before u can weld the upright in the correct location. Send me your email address in a PM and send me a few pictures of what u have.

If everything is aligned check to make sure the shell cant be rotated by hand after its clamped tight. The tape tension and arm side pressure can pull/push the shell off-axis if the teeth dont have a decent purchase. The smaller the holesaw diameter and the larger the shell, the less grip it`ll have. A thin film of hot glue on the poles can help the teeth get more bite on the shell.

I`d agree that centering on a lazy susan type machine can be a challenge, as the point you`re looking for is in mid air above the big hole in the bearing :) If you plan to use a range of tape widths, be sure to set the shell height for the center of the widest tape.

I drilled a hole in the center of the post on the woody to provide a vertical reference for shell centering and a roller mounted in a slot for tape height adjustment.

post-10522-0-69354600-1482631301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

• 1 month later...

Well it's finally done the shell wrapper is working good after about 4 weeks working on it.. So now I don't have to wrap the shells by hand it really works well. Just want to thank every one for all there help getting it done..Thanks Again To Everyone.......