APC Forum

Phenolic Resin

braddsn

Bluecomet, let me try to explain what I meant: with the phenolic.. the light output seems to be increased, and the colors seem richer (more vivid). Does that make sense? I have yet to send a shell up with any stars containing the phenolic, right now I am rolling about 30kg of cores. But once I finish my cores, I will start on my 3 inch shells and the testing will begin. My hopes are that I can break the shells even harder than before. I decided to continue to bind with dextrin because it is simple, cheap, and works great.

Brad,you checked the burning time with the phenolic resin in color formulas??............. should not be less than acroides resin, if equal, fantastic, if a little more, better.

José

In my experience it can burn as fat or faster than Red Gum in coloured formulas, especially if it is all finely milled.

Yes, with the phenolic resin, the color stars burned slightly faster. But not much, only barely noticeable.

• 7 years later...

Given phenolic resin's ease in ignitability, would a prime/changing relay need to be rolled on between two colors for color-changing stars? This is assuming the inner core is thoroughly sized via a sieve. 

Yes for colour changing stars changing relay/dark prime is absolutely needed without changing relay clear change of colour is not visible.

Role of dark prime is to ignite next layer of composition as well as to create no visible light or flame while burning.

• Like 1

From what I have seen, dark relay causes the star to have a dip in brightness, which is quite exaggerated in Maltese ball shells.  

But sometimes it's barely noticable like in the following example. (Pink-light blue-green/yellow- red)

I'm guessing that the star is no bigger than 12cm and it got me hypothesizing the following:

a) He used a very thin layer of relay prime in between colors.

b) Similarly to thought A, he step primed (mixture of two color comps functioning as a changing relay) the stars but also used a very thin layer.

c) He did not use any prime at all but rather he uses the abilities of phenolic resin to his advantage; which are reducing the ignition temperature of the composition as a whole, and and a higher burn temperature than any other fuel like red gum.

I only have read about dark primebut havent read or tried ever about step priming in colour changing stars.

Two imcompatible colour star formulas cant just be used as a step prime. Just like valine it should be compitable to be mixed together.

Yes, I was talking about stars with a similar makeup. Not veline with organic AP comp.

Edited by Edwin

Kindly try it out and post result if you can.

It would be helpful if it works.🙂