23 replies to this topic

#21 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

One example of a mixture that can become more sensitive with time is Dr. Shimizu's Napthalene black smoke star formula.

It contains chlorate, sulfur, and a large excess of napthalene as fuel.  There's so much fuel in it that it's not even the least-bit sensitive to either impact or friction.

But....napthalene sublimes into the air at STP.  So, after a time, the stars become fuel-poor, and the only primary constituents are chlorate and sulfur -- OOPS!

That's one of those formulae that needs a "best used by date" on it! <grin>

Lloyd 

• DesertCatUSN likes this

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#22 DesertCatUSN

DesertCatUSN

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, Target Shooting, Pyrotechnics, Emergency Medicine, Lapidary, Rock Collecting, Reading.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thanks! I'll stick with the known recipes. Roger

#23 PeteyPyro

PeteyPyro

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Fishing, Bass guitarist, Muscle cars, Ham Radio, Firearms & reloading, Home brewing, Scuba and cave diving, Lapidary, Organic gardening, traveling to Chile for "our" winters, and Pyrotechnics (of course) 😎. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:27 AM

Hi Lloyd. I should have specified those precautions for when I have sulphur of unknown quality, or like 90+- % garden stuff. I don't think it matters much for bp, but H help me if I had any chlorate stars that got near bp with acidic S, tissue paper in between or not..............when I'm in the States (April-October) however, Phil's G,S, has some good prices on very low acid wetable RM sulfur....Duda D. too, in bulk. I still ALWAYS test it, because there have been cases of cheaper sulphur being relabeled as 99.95% pure / acid free. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, Lloyd. .. paranoid pyro Petey (clutching my litmus paper) <grin>
Pyrotechnician. It's not an ocupation. It's a diagnosis.

#24 Zippoman

Zippoman

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Chlorate is more shock sensitive then perchlorates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users