APC Forum

Ferrosilicon alloy, what is the purpose in our hobby

dangerousamateur

Hot primes and maybe red lead thermite, thats for sure.

But in wich way does the iron alloy differ from the pure silicon?

I've never heard of it's use but I can imagine it will create a nice orange spark in hot primes. I can't see it being visible on stars in the sky, it could be used in fountains or up close effects.

The regular silicon is not very visible when burned.

Edited by NeighborJ

You can use it in primes, same effect as normal silicon but has the disadvatages of iron. Else use it for golden dimm sparks. After all din't buy it describes it on the spot.

I just wondered why some pyro shops list it.

The price is about the same. So I thought it must have some special purpose.

I don't know for certain but I suspect it would work well in sparklers. It may not be as sensitive to oxidation compared to regular iron shavings. The sparks would be short and dim and branching, perfect for hand held novelty items.

Remember that SOME materials used are only there because they were cheaply available at the time and local to where they were first used in pyro. Pyro is a very small use of some chemicals and some things only crop up because someone just tried is mates scrap product. Does anyone know what a Ni/Zr alloy is useful for? an OLD pyro gave me some.

The only reference for it I've seen in the standard pyrotechnics literature is in Dr. Shimizu's Fireworks, the Art, Science and Technique. He specifies the alloy with the highest silicon content (88%-93% Si) as the most useful. I've never had any or used it.

WSM B)

I did a little research on both alloys. The ferrosilicon is created in blast furnaces with refractory bricks which are a base. So it is basically slag. This I am very familiar with being a welder and see the purpose of slag on a daily basis. It prevents oxidation forming in molten steel which would otherwise reduce the carbon content of the steel.

The Ni/Zr alloy is an additive used in the production of other nickel alloys which improves ductility of various nickel super alloys.

I cannot conceive of a purpose in pyrotechnics for either alloys but if you want the ferrosilicon I can sweep some up off the shop floor at the school and sell it to you.

Arthur I stand corrected, I've found a composition for which your zirconium-nickel alloy can be used. Look in pyrodata.com under delay composition#2. I'm not sure what kind of delay it is(rocket mabe) but apparently it has a use. 60-barium chromate, 26-zirconium-nickel alloy, 14-kclo4. Edited by NeighborJ

Zr/Ni powder is used to partly replace Zr powder to adjust the burning speed of old fashioned military prime and delay compositions.

The hydrides of both Ti and Zr burn slower compared to the pure metals.

Edit:

Sorry I confused myself and started talking about hydrides but they are what we use instead of the Zr/Ni-alloy to slow down compositions based on very fine Zr och Ti powders.

The Zr/Ni burns slower than pure Zr.

Edited by Crazy Swede