APC Forum

How to store finished compositions/stars?

AzoMittle

If that wasn't what Mike was talking about I'm at a loss as well.

Btw Mike what exactly is a cheese box? I'm from wisconsin I should probably know this. 😬

post-13371-0-06988200-1480600819_thumb.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/2h2id75.jpg

Edited by dynomike1

I have never had to use full editor before, so i am learning it.

I use shipping tubes for storing match. I have one our OSHA placards came in at work that's 3 ft long I use to store long pieces for QM and a 1 ft one for shorter pieces for general use.

Does anyone know where to buy the screw top metal cans that commercial NC lacquer comes in?

Edited by OldMarine

I'm also a fan of cardboard tubes for storing blackmatch. I used to use PVC, but kind of got away from that just to avoid having anything potentially flammable or explosive inside.

There are probably plenty of places that sell them. They're called F-style cans. I included a couple that look like they sell individual as well as larger quantities.

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/metal/f-style-oblong-cans

http://www.freundcontainer.com/f-style-oblong-steel-cans/c/194/

https://www.airseacontainers.com/packaging/inner-packagings-bottles-and-cans/f-style-cans

Thanks Mumbles, I guess it helps if you know what they're called! I've got 5 gallon cans of acetone, alcohol and lacquer thinner I need to dish out in manageable containers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update my chem storage cabinets as promised. A little sanding and some paint, they'll be ready to hang and fill with chems

post-20364-0-61545900-1481497352_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Like someone else said, that reminds me of my childhood chemistry set.

I like it!

Thanks OM,

I'm happy with how they turned out as well. The shelves in the doors were really just a space saving measure, but it does have that chemist feel to it. 😀

I'm quickly running out of space in my 12x12 shed and will have to build some similar shelves soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update my chem storage cabinets as promised. A little sanding and some paint, they'll be ready to hang and fill with chems

attachicon.gif1211161549b.jpg

Are those jars anything specific you want to mention?

Interesting, did you really get a whole case of 80-some bottles? I noticed they have a separate tab for closures, did they not come with caps? Are the caps screw-on and if so, do you worry about static/friction issues or do you not store mixed comp of any kind in them?

Sorry for all the questions, my random collection of containers would do well to be moved to standardized shaped/sized containers.

Starxplor

I actually got 100 of them. The cabinets I built hold 48 bottles each. They were less than $1 each with lids, and they are semi local so I could avoid the outrageous shipping costs.

They do not come with lids. The company has a ton of different options for lids, color,plastic type, liner material.... They are screw on lids but I don't plan on using them for mixed compositions, just my raw chems.

Edited by chuckufarley

Don't you love the shipping that costs more than the products! :o

Happens all the time.

That sure is a nice shelf unit.

I do hate high shipping costs, but in a way I also like them. Numerous times they have forced me to look harder, and network with people to find a local source.

Thanks for the compliment Cal

I'd say that unless you are storing whistle or flash in those jars the danger of a threaded lid is miniscule. A long as you protect yourself from a static charge that could transfer to the exterior of the jar it would be fine. I have jars of comps in similar jars and haven't noticed any static cling inside the containers whatsoever.

I always get the image of the cans of Goex ffg and fffg that I have when people talk about threaded containers. Metal can, metal lid, full of bp. I guess using that as a gauge I don't worry about plastic threads a whole lot.

That being said, it never hurts to be overly cautious about these things, you just never know.

I always get the image of the cans of Goex ffg and fffg that I have when people talk about threaded containers. Metal can, metal lid, full of bp. I guess using that as a gauge I don't worry about plastic threads a whole lot.

That being said, it never hurts to be overly cautious about these things, you just never know.

While I do not believe there is such a thing as overly cautious in this hobby, I do have a point to make about the metal cans vs plastic. A metal can is generally not going to build up a static charge on its own unless you attach one to a battery somehow. The plastic bottles can build up this charge, and the sliding of plastic on plastic when screwing a cap is a good chance to do this. Think of rubbing a balloon on your sweatshirt and sticking it to a wall.

All that said, just not using them for finished comp is a pretty good way to avoid any issues.

I love my plastic. I store everything in them from whistle to stars. Cleanliness and gentleness go far in pyro. I think their "might" be an issue with a screw top lid but that issue is probably less than when I beat a shell together that has stars, flash, metals, fuse, and who knows what else in it.

Starxplor

I actually got 100 of them. The cabinets I built hold 48 bottles each. They were less than $1 each with lids, and they are semi local so I could avoid the outrageous shipping costs.

They do not come with lids. The company has a ton of different options for lids, color,plastic type, liner material.... They are screw on lids but I don't plan on using them for mixed compositions, just my raw chems.

Your storage cabinet is just like a fairy tale to me, with my random sized, shaped, material containers!!! Hats off!!

I'm thinking to change all my containers for these kind of HDPE containers, but:

My 2 questions are:

- Are they COMPLETELY air tight (moisture tight to be more precise)?

- How do they behave with static electricity?

Afraid of moisture (My workshop is pretty damp), I'm currently using this kind of glass container for my chems: SUPER moisture tight, but glass (!): also good for static electricity concerns.

(I do NOT store finished compositions, stars in these glass containers, instead I'm using some kind of hdpe containers, with a very small Calcium Chloride or Silica Gel container inside)

post-20858-0-13856900-1483083237_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sulfurstan. My shelves looked that way too, that's why I decided to get all the bottles and build the cabinets.

As to your questions. The lids I have are not perfectly air tight. If I screw the lid on tightly, I can (with both hands) squeeze the bottle and push air out. That being said, they offer a wide range of lid seals (not just foam) that may do a better job of keeping them air tight, but also considerably increase the costs. In practical use the foam seals should stop air transfer under normal circumstances.

As far as static goes, I don't notice a whole lot of static issues. I don't have an excess of dust clinging to them or anything. I don't get shocked when I pick them up (even in dry winter conditions). I don't use them for finished comps or stars though so I'm not sure that static is really an issue for raw chems.

Thanks Sulfurstan. My shelves looked that way too, that's why I decided to get all the bottles and build the cabinets.

As to your questions. The lids I have are not perfectly air tight. If I screw the lid on tightly, I can (with both hands) squeeze the bottle and push air out. That being said, they offer a wide range of lid seals (not just foam) that may do a better job of keeping them air tight, but also considerably increase the costs. In practical use the foam seals should stop air transfer under normal circumstances.

As far as static goes, I don't notice a whole lot of static issues. I don't have an excess of dust clinging to them or anything. I don't get shocked when I pick them up (even in dry winter conditions). I don't use them for finished comps or stars though so I'm not sure that static is really an issue for raw chems.

Yep, for raw chem, it is probably not an issue, but I was thinking of taking the raw chem plastic containers, "charging myself up a little bit", then take the next container, charging up again and so on, and then - once all mixed- , put it into my sieve, touch whatever I should not with it, and wuuuuush... To avoid this, i always touch a grounded part of my workbench before sieving...Going to the paranoid side sometimes :-)

Who else has wild animals getting in and opening/breaking containers?

Wild cats, Possums and Rats. Maybe the odd stoat.

Sigh.