APC Forum

Making ignitors

Guest Mark_the_pyro

• 1 month later...
For my ignitors I use xmas "rice" lights. They are smaller than most xmas lights and I use a 9-volt to light them. After breaking the top of the glass off I dip it in NC lacquer and then in bp mixed with a little Al for ease of ignition.

I use Potassium Chlorate and Sucrose for my pyrogen. I take a plastic straw and cut off a segment and stuff it with chlorate/sucrose. I put some nichrome wire on one end and plug up both ends using RTV silicone.

I have tried Potassium Chlorate/PBan/Aluminum but its ignition temperature is a little higher than chlorate and sugar. Sulfur might help but I don't think these igniters could be safely stored for any long period of time. :rolleyes:

Using a binder is a lot more convienent than straws because straws have a fixed diameter.

For my igniters I use to wires and a piece of the thicker kind of steel wool, which hasn’t failed yet, mine you I don’t use it much.

It cheap and easy to make. I use a 12v 1.8amp model train transformer to set them of. I don’t use and BP or a pyrogen by the way.

18$ for 40 ematches without the pyrogen? :blink: And their ignition mix is rather expensive too...my xmas lights come 50 per strand of wire and they are free, and why would you pay 40$ for a pyrogen you could make yourself.

- 1 kg of graphite powder from ceramics supplier: €6

- 1 roll of computer cable: €10

- some home-made NC laquer : ... no idea, not expensive though.

Enough supplies to make at least one thousand 99% failsafe bridgeless igniters: priceless

I am a bridgeless igniter fanatic since the first one I made.

Cut the wire. Strip the wire for 1mm. Dip. Dry.

1 minute at room temperature and they are good to go!

You can't really count the cable in the list above, because you would need it aswell for NiCr bridged igniters.

The more NC you use the harder they become.

The more NC you use the less conductive they become.

Find a good balance that suits your battery voltage and cable length/diameter.

The finer the graphite, the more constant the resistance of each different igniter will be => more reliability.

EDIT: Forgot to add that there is a pictorial about this on my site aswell, although it says basicly the same as on frogfot's page, because that's where I got my information.

http://www.geocities.com/brainfevert/ematch.html

How fast are they at say 500 or 1000 volts? Fast enough for *simultaneous* ignition, and I am not speaking of fireworks where a quarter second does not matter....