APC Forum

First Shell :3

MeowMix

Nice one! Seems like a big break for 4g slow flash, what kind of flash did you use, and how many layers did you paste?

Good ignition also, maybe a bit smaller stars next time (Win 20 burns quite slow, it's more like a strobe).

I used 5/3/2 flash, I pasted 10 layers of 1/2" tape. I also used 3/16" stars, I wasn't too sure what size to use so I stuck with that.

Hey, Looking great my friend ! better than my first 3"!

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

I used 5/3/2 flash, I pasted 10 layers of 1/2" tape. I also used 3/16" stars, I wasn't too sure what size to use so I stuck with that.

As in KNO3/Al/S ?

Ahh, quite a lot of pasting, that probably explains the big break hehe :). The stars are quite small, I normally use 7 mm (roughly 10% of OD shell). Strange that they burned for so long. Hmm. Nevertheless a good shell indeed!

Fantastic shell!!! Amazing for a first shell! My only suggestion would be to decrease the amount of booster. But that is just a personal preference. I boost color shells hard, but willows and glitters I break softer, because usually the stars burn slow and if boosted too much, the break radius becomes too large and sparse, if that makes sense. My star size for 3" shells ranges from 8 - 10mm, fwiw.

Thanks bradd, I'll try using less, the launch site was a good 300 feet away, so I just stuck with a large break, and I wanted to impress the party-goers/neighbors with the size of the break. I wasn't super worried about it, as it's my first shell. I'll be making another 10-20 shells over the next few months and I'll update you with those if you're interested in helping me get started :3

I think it turned out great :3

Me too :)

better than my first 3"!

Better than my first, second, third... better than my first dozen 3" shells at least ha ha. I can only speak confidently for myself, but I suspect that there are not many people who's first 3" shell is as good as this one.

Edited by Seymour

hey guys
I make my first 3 inch shell.but many of my stars not burn.
I coat them with BP 75:15:10 and full my shell by riceholl/BP.
even I use flash powder "potassium percholorat/Al" in my shell
whats wrong?

its natural

http://dehayf5mhw1h7.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/142/2015/06/29192514/fireworks.jpg

and its like mine

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IDAScer_7-Q/hqdefault.jpg

why??????????

Not enough information, we need you to spell it all out for us... :rolleyes:

what do you want to know?

my stars is made by KClO3+shellac+barium nitrate or strontium carbonate and other kind of stars

coat whit Black powder

my flash powder that i use on "rice hull/BP" is about 2gr

why not explode completely and symmetric?

ask me any more info that you want.

Edited by Arw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_sm3671js

Second one, also 3".

Same rice hulls and booster, except some white strobe was added to the rice hulls for a petal effect. This one didn't turn out as well, but I don't think it's bad for a beginner.

(Must've accidentally put a few crackle stars)

Edited by MeowMix

How many layers did you paste?

How fast are your rice hulls?

my hemisphere come from 3layers newspaper and 3 layers kraft paper then paste whit 3 layers.

my BP that I use whit rice hulls milled 12 hours then wet them and after dry milled for 6 hours.

question!how match rice hulls and how match BP give me a good buster?

Edited by Arw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_sm3671js

Second one, also 3".

Same rice hulls and booster, except some white strobe was added to the rice hulls for a petal effect. This one didn't turn out as well, but I don't think it's bad for a beginner.

(Must've accidentally put a few crackle stars)

Can you please share the size of the MgAl in your strobe?

What star comp are you using and what prime did you use to prime them?

my stars is KClO3/strontium carbonate or barium nitrate/shellac

and i prime them whit 75:15:10 standard BP

my stars is KClO3/strontium carbonate or barium nitrate/shellac

and i prime them whit 75:15:10 standard BP

my BP that I use whit rice hulls milled 12 hours then wet them and after dry milled for 6 hours.

Chlorate from your stars can mix with sulfur from your BP prime: this is dangerous and can cause your shell to self ignite.

Do the stars burn well on the ground?

Please clarify: did you mill the dry black powder on hulls for six hours? I don't see a logic in that.

The BP is supposed to stick to the wet rice hulls. Just wet your hulls add BP and shake a bit and let it dry, no more milling.

what do you want to know?

my stars is made by KClO3+shellac+barium nitrate or strontium carbonate and other kind of stars

coat whit Black powder

my flash powder that i use on "rice hull/BP" is about 2gr

why not explode completely and symmetric?

ask me any more info that you want.

What is your strat composition... how many grams of KCLO3, shellac etc?

The explosion "break" can be too hard and cause your stars to explode to dust as well.

Or the BP coat "prime" might be too soft and cracked and turned to dust during explosion.

And finally what is the size and shape of your shell?

Chlorate compositions are more sensitive/reactive it is weird they did not ignite.

Edit: what is your language?

Edited by TomasBrod

1-Do the stars burn well on the ground?

2-Please clarify: did you mill the dry black powder on hulls for six hours? I don't see a logic in that.

3-What is your strat composition... how many grams of KCLO3, shellac etc?

4-Or the BP coat "prime" might be too soft and cracked and turned to dust during explosion.

And finally what is the size and shape of your shell?

5-Chlorate compositions are more sensitive/reactive it is weird they did not ignite.

6-Edit: what is your language?

1-yes,its ignited just a sec white ighter

2-I mill them for 12 hours and wet them and after dry milled again for 6 hours

3-Potassium chlorate................................65

Strontium carbonate...............................15

Shellac...........................................20

and

barium nitrate....................................7

potassium chlorate................................7

shellac...........................................2

-------------

4-maybe!!!!

5-I wonder why

6-and I thought speak english well.loool

I'm speak persian.

You milled the rice hulls/BP after coating? I think that may be your problem. You made them way too fine and they blew your stars to dust.

You just dry the meal coated rice hulls after coating, no other milling needed.

Edited by OldMarine

Very nice shells Meow! I wish my first one would've looked that good.

Arw, I am beginning to think that poor ignition of stars in a shell and finally fixing the problem is a right of passage for all beginners. If you look over the thread that I started "priming stars" you may get some good advice (there are way to many posts to repeat them here).

I, personally don't think that MCRH is even necessary for a shell as small as 3". I simply use fine granulated BP and sometimes add a bit of 70:30 flash for a booster.

Edited by MadMat

You milled the rice hulls/BP after coating? I think that may be your problem. You made them way too fine and they blew your stars to dust.

You just dry the meal coated rice hulls after coating, no other milling needed.

no this process is before coating rice hulls

MadMat,can my pasting have problem?

or low BP/rice hulls foe example 2/1

last night i try to make another one.i put two kind of stars and all of them coated by BP.

a Red peony white yellow ring and just yellow ring is ignited.

Edited by Arw