APC Forum

Finally got some hot BP

Nessalco

I've been making BP with charcoal made from staghorn sumac, and have been very pleased with the results. Very fast powder. I made it in three forms: corned, granulated with alcohol/red gum, and coated on to rice hulls 6:1

They were all fast, but the MCRH gave a cool effect. This is 15g of MCRH, which is actually about 13g of powder, being burned in a Dixie cup without any other containment.

Kevin

Not a bit, Dave. Mill dust + 5% dextrin.

Kevin

I would love to know what it would do in an FPAG type BP tester. 4g of Goex is supposed to give a 5 sec flight time. My hottest BP gave a 9.5 sec flight time which I imagine would make it well over twice as powerful. I had a few 8 sec BP with charcoal being the variable, but nothing else I tried approached that one.

Almost makes me want to start testing and optimizing again. That seems darn impressive but I haven't tried enough in a cup to know what that extra pressure does. Wonder what that looks like on a flat piece of paper.

I hate to admit to stupidity, but I once put a little BP in the bottom of a soda can and taped a long fuse in the hole. Not much hot BP made an impressive salute. And a bunch of aluminum confetti.

That is some nice BP for sure!

On page 13 of this BP seminar document, there are the pyro-baseball flight times. We know that a baseball weighs between 142 and 149 grams, and that equates to roughly 1/2 ounce (14 to 15 grams) of BP to make 10% by weight. So using the graph, we can discern that by the 1/2 ounce mark they are pretty much at 10%, which commercial BP is getting between 5.5 and 6 seconds flight time. I know it may not be totally transferable info, but I thought it was a decent gauge if you had nothing else to compare with. Also (as most here already know) those times are for granulation and not coated rice hulls.

http://www.wpag.us/learn/Black%20Powder%20Seminar%2020sept14.pdf

.......t I haven't tried enough in a cup to know what that extra pressure does. Wonder what that looks like on a flat piece of paper.

Good call. I tried a 15g sample on a flat surface - still goes up very quickly, but without the report. I'll try to post some video for comparison.

Kevin

that some pretty spicy stuff! I Never would of thought to make charcoal using a plant.

What was your manufacturing method?

Would you mind doing a spoolette test with your powder?

1/4" or 3/8" diameter spoolette w/ 1" fuel grain length

Im interested to see its burn characteristics in a pressed format.

thanks.

Edited by CrossOut

that some pretty spicy stuff! I Never would of thought to make charcoal using a plant.

Uhhhhh, you know trees are plants, right? :D

• Like 2

Uhhhhh, you know trees are plants, right? :D

:whistle:

• Like 1

Eh I guess technically an overgrown plant lol.

I would have called it a vine. Cant mess with that alergic to it.

Just to be sure, you talking about the sumac with the groups of dark red, fuzzy berries on it, right? Hmm, There is a lot of them around here. Nice, hot BP BTW!

That's the stuff, Mat. FWIW, the dried berries make an excellent tea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_typhina

The charcoal was cooked in a retort, and I did not peel or split the feedstock. It was well dried. The BP is standard 15:3:2 +5% dex milled for 4 hours.

Here's the burn on a flat surface.

Kevin

What was your manufacturing method?

Would you mind doing a spoolette test with your powder?

1/4" or 3/8" diameter spoolette w/ 1" fuel grain length

Im interested to see its burn characteristics in a pressed format.

thanks.

Since this is a new batch of powder I'll give it a go this weekend, but previous tests give a burn rate of around 1.9 to 2.1 sec per inch.

Kevin

Yeah, I've known about making tea from the berries for a long time now. The taste reminds me slightly of pink lemonade :). I'm going to make a batch of charcoal out of the sumac we have around here.... just the largest woody vines/stems, right?

I'm dying to compare the resulting BP to my willow BP

Edited by MadMat

Looks pretty darn fast. Too bad a ninja was escaping the area at the same time and threw down the elusive and mystical ninja smoke at almost the exact same moment.