APC Forum

Glycerin

Caramanos2000

nope I don't believe it does. You could use it polymerize Polyvinyl alcohol however the resulting mixture will be extremely hydroscopic due to the glycerin.

Nope. And yeah its hydroscopic. A few uses in chemistry though.

It is used in some not so popular rocket compositions, like we always say, look for chems for a specific need instead of looking for uses for chems.

hmmm not sure abot rocketry but in a classic classroom expirement a drop of glycrine is put on a pile potassium permanagnate and it bursts into EXTREMLY hot flame....so hot that it is used to light thermite

Yeah, however thats not pyro, thats a lab demo.

Practically ever chem imaginable can have a use in a lab demo. Toxicity permitting...

did you read the part about it being used to ignite thermite? i would call that pyro wouldnt you?

did you read the part about it being used to ignite thermite? i would call that pyro wouldnt you?

That's a stretch...maybe in the broadest terms it might be considered kewl pyro in that it burns, but in the sense of pyrotechnics needing to be safe and having aspirations of either usefulness (thermite Cad welding or lost wax metallic casting) or beautiful...

pouring a pile of permanganate and dripping glycerin on it ain't either. There are plenty of ways to light thermite effectively and far more controllably.

There are plenty of ways to light thermite effectively and far more controllably.

really like what? the only ways i know of is Mg strips (notably unreliable) sparklers (dont always work) a and mixture of finely powdered Fe(III) oxide and aluminum. and of course potassium permanganate and glycrine.

There are plenty of ways to light thermite effectively and far more controllably.

really like what? the only ways i know of is Mg strips (notably unreliable) sparklers (dont always work) a and mixture of finely powdered Fe(III) oxide and aluminum. and of course potassium permanganate and glycrine.

Ummm...powdered Fe(III) oxide and aluminum *IS* thermite...using it to light itself is kind of a circular argument.

Try spiking your thermite with some oxidizer and sulfur to get it rolling; the M3 formula uses BaNO3 and S, but any oxidizer will do to create a priming mix.. Or even simpler, Al & S in a 2:1 ratio. It lights from Visco and will light both Fe2O3/Fe3O4 or CuO thermite easily.

• 1 year later...

Glyserol / Glyserine may be used on dry hands to moisten them up a little, Handling more or less toxic chemicals often calls for frequent washing of the hands leading to dry skin.

The reaction with KMnO4 has already been mentioned and the only other use for it that i can think of that gets even close to pyro is in its nitrated form, as an additive in dubelbased smokles powder.

Mixing or Impregnating dubble base NC with Copper, Barium or Strontium salt, possibly with the adition of som chlorine donor might yeld a colored flame of shorter duration and higher flame then its mono base relative. Anyhow, i dont concider making dublebase at home an option, so that more or less rules out the glycerine as a pyro chemical.

|Snip|

Try spiking your thermite with some oxidizer and sulfur to get it rolling; the M3 formula uses BaNO3 and S, but any oxidizer will do to create a priming mix.. Or even simpler, Al & S in a 2:1 ratio. It lights from Visco and will light both Fe2O3/Fe3O4 or CuO thermite easily.

Concerning the previously mentioned "M3" i think that is suposed to refer to the foloving comp:

"Thermate-TH3 is a mixture of thermite and pyrotechnic additives which have been found to be superior to standard thermite for incendiary purposes. Its composition by weight is generally 68.7% thermite, 29.0% barium nitrate, 2.0% sulfur and 0.3% binder (such as PBAN). The addition of barium nitrate to thermite increases its thermal effect, produces a larger flame, and significantly reduces the ignition temperature." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

>>>_@/"

Edited by TurboSnail