APC Forum

Pot. Chlorate by electrolysis?

TheGandalf

The "Titanium" fittings (nuts bolts etc ) found on ebay etc tend to be stronger alloys but have been found to vanish in electrolysis cells. CP1 and CP2 have so far been found to be resistant to the cell liquor. Other alloys certainly exist. Remember that this cell liquor has been suspected of etching some glasses.

There are many possible reasons for this. Different glass compositions certainly account for some. Another possible cause is (if I remember correctly) that if the cell has a separator between the anode and cathode, the anode runs acidic with chlorine and the cathode runs alkaline with hydroxide. Glass tends to be negatively affected by strong alkalis, which is why most hydroxides are stored and shipped in polyethylene (HDPE, I think) containers.

If we be sure to design our cell to encourage good mixing, I think our system can run in a glass container without undue concern. It's probably a good idea to check the glass container for compatibility first, before trying it in a cell.

WSM B)

Edit: This concern is another case for using pH control, which would probably help as well as dramatically improve the CE.

Edited by WSM

• 1 month later...

I just was thinking if I have a variable power supply, (the kind w/current & voltage digital readout Windows) couldn't I just use it and skip using the PC power supply?

I figure the only reason not to use it and go with the PC supply instead would be to let the cheap power supply get worn and possibally corroded. Or am I missing something?

1) I just was thinking if I have a variable power supply, (the kind w/current & voltage digital readout Windows) couldn't I just use it and skip using the PC power supply?

2) I figure the only reason not to use it and go with the PC supply instead would be to let the cheap power supply get worn and possibally corroded. Or am I missing something?

1) Yes. I've never yet used a modified computer power supply (just the others).

2) If you use good long cables, like welding cables; the power supply doesn't need to be exposed to the fumes of the process.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

So how do I adjust the amps? With the current setting? The supply shown is what I have.

post-20520-0-83376900-1469237687_thumb.jpeg

Edited by WindowLicka

So how do I adjust the amps? With the current setting? The supply shown is what I have.

For running in CC mode, From zero Volts, turn the voltage up high and then start turning the current up slowly (from zero Amps) to the level you want. Remember that current doesn't flow until a load is connected to the output leads.

WSM B)

People use PC power supplies for cheapness and for their ease of hacking. It's possible to get a surplus PC power supply for next to nothing, and with board level work turn it into a variable PSU. Because they are almost free it's usual to take less care of them! including using them in corrosive atmospheres.

If you buy a good bench power supply you should get a unit with stable output and meters, but will need to use longer fatter leads to keep the psu out of the range of corrosive fumes, the psu will need ventilating with clean air.

People use PC power supplies for cheapness and for their ease of hacking. It's possible to get a surplus PC power supply for next to nothing, and with board level work turn it into a variable PSU. Because they are almost free it's usual to take less care of them! including using them in corrosive atmospheres.

If you buy a good bench power supply you should get a unit with stable output and meters, but will need to use longer fatter leads to keep the psu out of the range of corrosive fumes, the psu will need ventilating with clean air.

This is true and I agree.

Even if your power supply doesn't cost much, taking proper care of it will help to preserve it for longer service. If you're not sure how to take proper care of it, ask; someone here will be able to offer guidance.

WSM B)