APC Forum

how do you make tpa flash powder

lobowarxl

hello im looking on how to make tpa flash powder i remember seeing a youtube video on it but i cant find it, if you know how to make it please respond , does it work for small salutes as well as large salutes? im trying to use it for for 3 gram salute inserts in a multi salute shell

The only formula I found is as follows;

Potassium perchlorate 71%

Aluminum- dark flake. 17%

TPA. 12%

I've not made any flash but this is from a reputable source (FW)

Comments state it merely burns if unconfined and requires slightly more containment than other flash comps. Sounds safer.

Lobo, the search function is your friend.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/11003-tpa-burster-compound/

OM, that formulation will work, but there are many ratios that will work properly. You can 'tune' TPA flash quite a bit.

Kevin

Thanks, I have yet to make any but I'm studying up. This thread was the first time I'd heard of TPA so I had to look it up.

By tuning it do you mean like adding something like iron oxide etc.?

You can vary the sensitivity, light output, and to some degree the tone of the report by varying the ratio of TPA to aluminum. There are versions that use no aluminum at all...

Kevin

I settled on 70/15/15, gently screened. It is easy to remember and works fine for my needs.

I too use 70-15-15, but only for bottom shots. Nate, have you used it in inserts with timefuse? I ask because I assume it is less flame sensitive than the 71-17-12.

Honestly, I stopped using TPA flash in inserts, but I do still like it for bottom shots. I never had ignition problems, but the timing wasn't quite as crisp as I like.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

WB, I have not tried it for small cap plug sized insert reports. I don't know how well it works with 1 gram at a time.

I have only used it in bottom shots and salutes. It makes a nice 1.75" cylinder salute timed with a spolette. I made a few with time fuse and those worked well too. I would use it without hesitation a 5" 5 timed report shell. If only I had time to build with the baby around.

TPA flash works only marginally in cap plugs. There just isn't enough containment for the full amount to initiate. It gives a report, but pretty poor compared to standard F. One gram in a thin-walled paper tube with a couple wraps of 30# kraft works very nicely. It does not work in crosettes.

Kevin

Kevin,

Have you by chance tried with the lower amount of TPA such as the 71/17/12 that I have suggested in the past, and not granulated with the NC?

I haven't tried in a rubber cap plug as I never got any and decided to use paper to stay as biodegradable as possible. But it has worked well for me in some very thin walled tubes made from a few wraps of gummed tape. Just curious.

As for making it, I use the above formula with that being perc/aluminum/TPA. I don't granulate with NC lacquer like I believe Kevin does. And I just add the chemicals to a zip lock and roll around between my fingers to mix. I know most won't suggest using a zip lock bag and I normally wouldn't either, but if something were to happen the bag would quick melt away and would not provide any containment so that it burns slowly. Just what I do.

I have, Fla, and I get about the same results - about 2/3 of the comp initiates, the rest is strewn about. It's not just the fuse blowing out of the cap - the cap will break in two about halfway down, and the comp in the tip of the cap doesn't seem to initiate.

I too prefer paper inserts, so I haven't done much experimenting - I've hit on techniques that work and are repeatable, and I pretty much stick with them.