APC Forum

Comps Using Spherical Titanium

jrin0630

Does anyone have experience making specific comps with 35-200 mesh spherical titanium? Would

it be a good substitute for comps using Ti Sponge? Or comps using spherical aluminum? I was

thinking of starting off making some streamer type comps with about 5% spherical Ti.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Jrin,

I have decades of experience using spherical titanium in crossettes and comets. I've made (actually) many hundreds of thousands of them.

That broad of a mesh range is not particularly useful, except in salutes. For other effects, you'll need to classify it more closely. The stuff I'm most enamored of is -80+150 spherical. In a black powder-based comet, it leaves a trail about 20' long, with clean white sparks. Finer stuff may be used in small low-altitude effects, and the coarser material works very nicely in salutes, to give the "snowball effect" we've all come to love.

The material does not exchange 1:1 with aluminum. Very often, a large portion of the aluminum will be consumed in the flame -- it's part of the fuel. The titanium is purely a 'secondary effect', and although it can tend to heat a mix up (causing it to burn faster), it doesn't much enter into the primary reaction.

Eh... 5% is a bit low. I think you'll be disappointed with the density of the sparks. Somewhere around 10% seems optimal, giving a nice dense spark trail without wasting the metal.

Lloyd

Lloyd is correct, 10% does the trick... great looking effect.

Here's a 16 I built and shot in sept of last year using spherical TI in the stars, this was about 12%.