APC Forum

Time fuse

Merlin

You had gotten me worrying whether or not I forgot to lube the chains before this last migration out of the fuse-making bay.

All that "rust" is only superficial, and much of what looks like rust is actually just dust blown in under the tarp. (it gets very windy here during Summer thunderstorms, and the outdoor bays are dirt-floored). And most of the dust is vegetative matter blown in from the surrounding pastures... basically just 'lint'. A very light brushing with a hair brush revealed almost-perfect, lubricated steel underneath, with only the very lightest dusting of actual rust.

I manually checked all of them, and they're as free-moving as new.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. But i'm glad to hear your taking good care of the machine. I want it to be in great shape when you ship it of to me...

In my defense, the dust on the machine is gray, where as the chains are brown. It looks exactly like an abandoned bike chain.

I suppose when we all get in to trouble with the availability of time fuse, your going to have to put up with a lot more visitors. We bring the BBQ meat, and side's, you fire up the spinner.

You are SO going to be the king.

B!

As soon as I get good and 'shuck' of this Army project, I intend to give the machine a more permanent home, and clean it up properly. I have slabs down for more bays, just no walls, yet.

I even have some plans to retro-fit it with more-accurate drive devices, so that it won't backlash and snarl when being slowed down rapidly from a fast run.

Lloyd

• 1 month later...

This is china time fuse machine

http://www.fireworkmachine.com/yfw2/products/large/201622893444.jpg

Although my Apache fuse machine looks a bit better than that, there's nothing fundamentally different between them, except for fit-and-finish.

Mine produces the 1/4" time fuse in Bickford style with the two cotton tape overwraps.

It's powder with two tracers, 10 yarns counterwrapped with 6 yarns, tar bath, cotton tape 1, cotton tape 2 counterwind, dye bath/fixative, drying, spooling.

I modified it somewhat to produce a slightly larger core than the original, which was specifically blasting fuse, as opposed to fireworks time fuse, which likes a larger powder core.

LLoyd

• 3 months later...