APC Forum

1-3/4" round shell

pudidotdk

It took about two days (not to full days). I had to make a papershell and dry it overnight and ram my own spolette and such... The worst part was pasting the 5 layers of paper it took like.. forever! Gotta find a way to speed up the process.

But I'm glad y'all liked it :)

Just wait for bigger shells. They can take upwards of 15-20 layers for a 6" shell. It goes faster over time.

Don't know if such as small shell would apply but a few good turns of fibreglass tape might be worth trying to save time and maybe use a 0.3gram tissue flash bag in the middle? I am experimenting with tiny round and can 1inch shells so il try this and let you know what happens. Small shells are briliant if you can get them breaking good - they take less comp, time and resources:)

• 1 month later...

Wow that was pretty and I didn't laugh at it and again it was nice.

The second one, I don't mean to sound like a know what I'm talking about, but maybe if you use more Al. That sometimes works for me in my fountains and I have kind of stop using flares for my fountains I use golden powder.

awesome shells for their size. keep it up.

As far as the first shell goes I must say that is an awesome shell for your second try! Great work. Very cool for its size. I will be very anxious to see in 6-9 months when you are making larger shells!

I don't think the prime ruined any effect at all, looks good to me!

Might I say, don't rush it, you are doing great and sometimes shells will take a helluva long time to complete.

For larger shells: from making stars and burst, to putting the leader on I can take upwards of three weeks. Be patient and I am sure you will make some nice shells in the future!

What stars were in the second shell? also, are you electrically firing these?

al > The stars are my own composition that I discovered by accident.

Potassium nitrate - 15,6 parts

Magnesium (granulated, 80 mesh) - 7,0 parts

Aluminium (bright, flake) - 3,6 parts

Dextrin - 1,2 parts

Boric acid + 1%

I don't remember the prime though.<

Yes I fire most of my mortar stuff electrically, since that is cheaper at the moment. (free wires vs. fuse ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
to make the rising effect on the first shell did you simply hot glue a star or two to the top of your shell? could i do this on a plastic shell or would i have to put a piece of cardboard between the plastic shell and stars to prevent them from burning through? nice shells by the way.

to make the rising effect on the first shell did you simply hot glue a star or two to the top of your shell? could i do this on a plastic shell or would i have to put a piece of cardboard between the plastic shell and stars to prevent them from burning through? nice shells by the way.

Yes I glued them to the top of the shell. If you're worried about the comet burning through the plastic hemi, just wrap a layer or two of kraft around the comet.

I've had plastic shells visibly deform from comets. Plastic is pretty elastic stuff when melted, it's not going to burn through. One thing that suprised me is that I still got a pretty decent break, and the plastic was dented inwards. I would have suspected the plastic to be expelled outwards.

Also, it's always a good idea to put a few wrappings around your comets. I personally use masking tape, but pasted kraft is more traditional. It prevents burning of the sides. This does 2 things. First of all, it makes the comet burn longer. Secondly, it prevents the glue holding it on from melting and making the comet fall off.

• 6 months later...