APC Forum

Rocket Size, Power and Cost

OblivionFall

OblivionFall,

There are multiple ways to make different types of rocket tooling. You can purchase new tooling or post on the site that you are looking for a certain size of tooling. Many people sell off excess tooling when they need to finance other projects. A brass bolt and a solid base can be made into a basic tool. A drill press and metal file can be used to shape the brass bolt into a spindle. Some fuels can be carefully and slowly drilled with a drill bit to create a core. Some motors types don't even need a hollow core to fly. Visit several of the tool maker websites and study the types of motor tooling and you will quickly see the costs for the various types of tooling and supports. Most people will start with sugar rockets or black powder rockets, these types of rockets are the least expensive to get started with. Black Powder can be hand rammed and Sugar rockets can be poured or pressed. The website listed below has wealth of information on rocket tooling, fuels, and making basic tools.

http://wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/index.html

Ok I gotcha. I don't have any real power machinery so I will ask around to see if anyone is selling tooling.

Oblivion if i remeber right you where canadian right? Then you can chose between wolther, ben or caleb for good tooling, that you only pay once for. Get a 1 lb tooling to have a good starting point.
  • Like 1

Wow woody's country store is loaded with cool things! Very interesting. Expensive but buy nice or buy twice.

The thing with my pyro hobby is that, well, I'm in Canada so I could have to stop at any time. And I will probably only do pyro for another year or two and then get back to in in about 5 years. That's just life. So I don't think I will go much further than buying 1lb tooling, an arbor press and tubes/end discs and supplies to use for the next two years.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

A few basic tools and you can build many of the tools you need for the Pyro hobby.

There are plenty of tutorials and videos that help with the projects.

There are time share build shops in many communities that have power tools and facilities for building

these types of projects. You can learn a lot from the people that use these facilities and provide training

for the new members. These facilities are great for someone who does not have a shop or equipment to

build various projects. A typical Pyro shop will be equipped with many Pyro specific tools to make various

pyrotechnic items. Add up the cost for all of the tooling that many Pyros have collected over the years and

you will see that it adds up to considerable amount depending on how many different sized items you want

to make. Just the basic tools for making and processing black powder and chemical comps can add up.

Stainless Steel Mesh Screens, Star Sorting Screens, Drying Frames, Black Match Frames, Insert Formers,

Case Formers, Rocket Tooling, Star Pumps, Comet Pumps, Star Plates, Ball Mills, Star Rollers, Arbor Press,

Hydraulic Press, Drying Box, etc.

Many of these tools can be built with basic tools, and the more complex tools can be made with power tools,

wood lathes, metal lathes and mills etc..

Starting out you want to focus on several items and tool up to build these items only, if you want to build all

types of fireworks the tools needed add up quickly. Round ball shells and cylinder shells can be made with

basic tools. Stars can be rolled in a bowl or pumped with basic tools. Making good BP is usually one of the

first skills a Pyrotechnician needs to learn. A TLUD cooker is easy to build to make your own charcoal. Learning

and knowing all of these skills is life long adventure that makes the art form more rewarding when you can make

the basic components and tools to create the end product.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

A few basic tools and you can build many of the tools you need for the Pyro hobby.

There are plenty of tutorials and videos that help with the projects.

There are time share build shops in many communities that have power tools and facilities for building

these types of projects. You can learn a lot from the people that use these facilities and provide training

for the new members. These facilities are great for someone who does not have a shop or equipment to

build various projects. A typical Pyro shop will be equipped with many Pyro specific tools to make various

pyrotechnic items. Add up the cost for all of the tooling that many Pyros have collected over the years and

you will see that it adds up to considerable amount depending on how many different sized items you want

to make. Just the basic tools for making and processing black powder and chemical comps can add up.

Stainless Steel Mesh Screens, Star Sorting Screens, Drying Frames, Black Match Frames, Insert Formers,

Case Formers, Rocket Tooling, Star Pumps, Comet Pumps, Star Plates, Ball Mills, Star Rollers, Arbor Press,

Hydraulic Press, Drying Box, etc.

Many of these tools can be built with basic tools, and the more complex tools can be made with power tools,

wood lathes, metal lathes and mills etc..

Starting out you want to focus on several items and tool up to build these items only, if you want to build all

types of fireworks the tools needed add up quickly. Round ball shells and cylinder shells can be made with

basic tools. Stars can be rolled in a bowl or pumped with basic tools. Making good BP is usually one of the

first skills a Pyrotechnician needs to learn. A TLUD cooker is easy to build to make your own charcoal. Learning

and knowing all of these skills is life long adventure that makes the art form more rewarding when you can make

the basic components and tools to create the end product.

Didn't think about that.

I'll make a budget of how much I will spend per year on expendable things and how much I spend on things that will last me for (hopefully) forever.

But you give a good point. I guess there's more to it than I thought.

Didn't think about that.

I'll make a budget of how much I will spend per year on expendable things and how much I spend on things that will last me for (hopefully) forever.

But you give a good point. I guess there's more to it than I thought.

This is actually one of the best comments i ever heared from you and just what you have to do.

• Like 1