APC Forum

Printing Star Plates

Twignberry

Both of those new plates look good. Have you tried stacking any of the "new" stars into a shell casing yet?

What's the fit like?

I like the idea, maybe they're a tad too big though. What size shell are they for? 3"?

Sarge.

I dont do canisters, but that idea seems like genius to me!

I am expecting an arbor press for xmas this year, being able to print one or two of these plates would be an awesome money saver.

Well I broke it.... Just one pin. I'm not sure if I knocked it on something or during use. I only noticed it while I was cleaning it after doing a few more plates of stars. I'm pretty sure I can repair it with some super glue.

Depending on the plastic super glue may not be the best choice of adhesive. If It's PE based then no adhesive is good. If PVC you will need to use PVC cement, and if it's ABS you can use MEK/Weldon to weld it in, and it will be as strong as the material itself.

• 2 weeks later...

So the star comp does not get stuck in the layer lines of the printed cavities? I've been experimenting with 3D printed star plates and gang pumps too, but I've been using brass sleeves and brass pins and just using ABS as the plate material. ABS allows the pins and sleeves to be press fit without cracking the plastic the way it would PLA. I never use PLA because it's melting point is just too low. If I wanted to use acetone I would just print it with PETG. Trying to pump acetone bound stars is a mess anyway and tricky to do. That stuff just dries so fast there is no working time.

But yeah, now matter what the plastic is you are going to need a metal plate on top the pin plate to distribute the load if you are using this in a press. For hand pressing using a rubber mallet you could just whack the plastic though, although PLA would likely crack. An ABS one would be able to take the mallet strikes though. Skylighter used to sell an all plastic star plate like this years ago and it worked OK.

post-10562-0-14289900-1451191397_thumb.jpg

post-10562-0-35867700-1451191410_thumb.jpg

post-10562-0-51758800-1451191450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pyronaught