APC Forum

Atf manufacturers explosive license

deltawar567

So i am fine if i buy the chemicals seperately?

Yep. Don't be dumb.

And remember that a real pyro company buys the chemicals they want/need. This means not only the compound but the bag size and the particle size. If the business needs a specific particle size cut they order it in like that. If they have a mix that uses a particular metal foil or particle size and shape, then that's what they order maybe by the ton. and what they understand the hazards of by the ton in transit and storage. Commercially no-one makes perc they can't buy the electricity cheaply enough and they can't make it pure enough

BUT once you pass "hobby" quantity then a business model will be expected with sales and proper accounting

Beyond hobby is business, a small business entity with correct formation, premises, insurances, sales and purchases, accounts and tax would be a likely next move, then you look at industrial premises and planning permission and a full set of federal, state and county regulatory permissions would be needed. Are you well enough funded to finance the company startup?

I'm talking about just blowing up beyond what most people can.

That right there sounds a little spooky to me.

Ok, I don't see the point in having more than 100lbs of perchlorate, unless you're making 16" shells on a regular basis. Are you hoping to make explosions??

This all sounds really fishy.

You can buy tannerite directly from their site, if that is too expensive you can buy ammonium nitrate in small quantities. If you're looking to make 400lbs of exploding target then no one is going to help you, because that is just too big, especially when most exploding target is half pound at the very most.

I hope you live in very remote areas because what you are thinking of sounds fishy.

I'm talking about just blowing up beyond what most people can.

Ever seen the youtube video of 400 lbs of tannerite being exploded?

To make explosive targets. Not doing anything fishy.

explosive targets you say. I'm calling BS.

• 1 month later...

type 4 will not work, he needs a 2 or 1 as everything being talked about is HE in the eyes of ATF any they will only grant you a licence for what you have storage for.

the ATF licence doesn't stop the local PD from busting you, you still have to play buy the local rules.. IE the BATFE says its 100% fine for you to make and fire a 6" salute as long as you do not transport it or store it over night if its for "personal use"

The way in for most people is a type 2 (or 4) "indoor magazine" they they are limited to 50 pounds of explosives but have no separation distances so as far as the Feds care you can have one in a tuffshed in your back yard 20' for your neighbors house, the local AHJs are usually the bigger issue.
the 2011-3 rulling alows for some job boxs to be used for type 4s if they meet certain specks , it is very handy if your not doing HE
https://www.atf.gov/file/55521/download

One word: Precursors

If you buy both finely divided aluminum and perc, you will have the precursors in your possession. If you have a finished salute, you have proved intent for them (police), (they will thank you). Without a license, you will be charged with a felony or several ranging from "possession of an infernal machine" to "possession of a weapon of mass destruction".

I just saw a type 4 magazine that was just approved last month, it was a simple job box, undercoating was the insulator, to locks on gravel. He will also be getting a type 1 magazine (very small one) as well to cover his posterior.

Edited by AAF