APC Forum

Downtime

Mumbles

As I am sure many of you noticed yesterday the forum was down. The bill never got paid. The bill was due back around the first of the year. For some reason they decided to just now suspend our account. Oh well. This was a bit of Mr. Yuk's fault, and a bit of my own stupidity. The hosting account was in his name. I was unaware he ever got any bills, I haven't talked to him in a while. I assumed when he started getting them he'd contact us. Since it lasted so long I thought that maybe he already paid it. There isn't really a very convenient way to check on the hosting time left and all that. Thankfully the hosting password is the same as the forum admin password, and I got in and paid up the balance.

Now to the my stupidity part. I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh about this. Anyway, we are hosted on hostgator.com. Apparantly there is also a gatorhosting.com. I did not know this. I was trying to talk to gatorhosting.com all day yesterday. I got 3 different responses from 3 different people. One said the account had been deleted, one said they didn't host the domain(which is registered to godaddy) and thus couldn't access the account, and the final said that I didn't have the right host. I was rather wondering as to when the hosting company greatly lowered the bandwith and space available. Turns out I was looking at the wrong one.

I was very worried about losing everything after hearing the account was deleted. I had been making a backup every week or so. I recently had a computer crash and had been very busy with school and forgot to make more backups. The latest one I have was from october 2006, but I have one from Jan 2007 at my parent's house.

I am still considering transfering hosts. It would allow much more space for the file host and I think improve it overall. I want to see if I can cancel my account after renewing and get my money back to move to the new host.

What would be the new file size limit for files? 2.44mb is ok for pictures but not so hot for descent quality vidoe...:/ Something around 10-20mb would be pretty sweet...

Given the new host, probably 100-200 megs.

Another idea Mumbles, you can bridge Gallery2 to IPB or other phpBB based forums to give a much easier way to organize and display pics and movies.

Or if you are interested Mumbles, I am only using a fraction of my service and I'm looking to get my money out of it. Since it is already paid up for the next year and a half, I would be happy to let you set up my storage and bandwidth to host the video files for APC. I currently use less than 1 percent of my available storage and bandwidth, and my ISP pushes files pretty well. If you are interested you know how to get a hold of me.

That is a definite possibility. I honestly have no idea how to set it up, but I could figure it out. There has to be some way to route the filehost page to post on your site. I'll play a bit if and find out what is going on with it. Chaz installed it, so I really have no idea how it works. I'll talk to you about it later on.

Also it has come to my attention that running the forum can cost a moderate amount of money. Not a huge amount, but enough to not want to pay on one's own. I wouldn't mind a small link somewhere on the site that leads to a donation fund for APC. Just a thought.

Good point, deadman. I wouldn't mind ponying up a couple dollars to defray the cost of our forum. Let us know where to send the $.