APC Forum

5/8 rocket payload

Sparx88

Will a hand rammed coreburner 5/8 id lift a 3" shell high enough? The shell weight that I would be trying if trying were to happen is 130 grams. How long should the core be? I'm using hot bp.

Depending if you use a nozzled or nozzleless rocket. I think you're on the edge when you use nozzled. With nozzleless.....i doubt it.

The tool skether gives the result in the attached pdf.

5_8 tool.pdf

Edited by Rocketier

No problemo with hot bp either way...

I use my 1/2 in tooling sometimes. :)

1/2" rocket will lift that much? I at the limit with 50 grams total weight with the 7/16 rockets core burners. Maybe just go for 3/4" ?

using HOT 75/15/10 with a waxed tube and long spindle 1/2 in will do a lot. but it is over quick...

The 5/8 tooling will lift one perfectly.

1/2 in rocket surface area is - .7854

5/8 in rocket surface area is - 1.2272 + 55 % INCREASE over 1/2 in.

3/4 in rocket surface area is - 1.7672 + 125 % INCREASE over 1/2 in

Looks like the core should be around 4.75 in used with a 6.5 in tube or there abouts... :)

There is someone one here lifting 4 in shells with 5/8 tooling, a 3.75 spindle on a 5 in tube... :) ( if i am remembering correctly )

Caleb speaks the truth, on his 5/8 skinny spindle tooling with hop bp (nozzled) I can lift a 3 inch shell to a very nice height, not too high and not too low. This is a short rocket also.

Edited by oldspark

I been using wood tooling and even though they work ok I have to be real carefull about breaking off the spindle when extracting. And any spindle longer than 3.5" gets real tight fast. So I have been limited to a 4" tube. I need an upgrade. I'm on a disabled budget but it'll get done. I'd like to look into the skinny spindle set, what's that about.

Caleb sells a couple of versions of the tooling on his site under rocket tooling.

Is it OK to post a link to his store?

I will vote for Skinny Spindles for president.

I can't remember which version I sent you oldspark..

I think one of those was for a 3.25 in tube and the other I made with an inch longer spindle and then made the rammers for a 5 in tube....

These are old style pics also.. I have changed to just regular rammers with pull handles and use either a brass or stainless spindle. I'm still kinda deciding what I like best for these cheaper sets.. the cheapest sets come with two rammers and a solid base/spindle, pay a little more and you get a machined universal base/ removable brass spindle with three rammers.

Maser got me onto making these, I forget what he wanted them called... mase.. ? I need to change the name on my site don't I? :)

original.jpeg

original.jpeg

No problemo with hot bp either way...

I use my 1/2 in tooling sometimes. :)

nozzled, wouldn't it CATO? 2.5" shell should be perfect

depends how hot the fuel is and how well you built the motor. waxed tubes. good tubes, oil or wax in the fuel. was it in a support when pressed. and on and on.. it amazes me what people can get to work.

yes. a 2.5 in shell IS perfect for 1/2 in standard bp rockets. You don't have to get everything perfect, just make a reliable motor out of tame fuel and it will work every time.