APC Forum

Hand Rolling Tubes

Mephistos Minion

Has anyone tried using a refactory material + glue to make there tubes. I am thinking about buying some calcium carbonate but there is a bulk minumum(50lbs). Is there is a noticable resistance to heat by adding small/large portion of refactory material to the adhesive? .25(both sides) inch diameter walls aren't really cutting for aluminumized propellants.

Calcium carbonate is chalk, so you could do a few small scale trials without having a bag of the stuff sitting around if it doesn't work as intended. I might suggest using waterglass instead though...ClayartCenter and McMaster have very good prices on gallon quantities.

Frank, what do you mean by "using waterglass instead?" Do you mean to add it to the glue or by its self or instead of the glue? I was just thinking about using waterglass(sodium silicate) on some tubes but I wasn't sure about how to go about it. Have you used it before? Would you use straight waterglass or waterglass + calcium carbonate(maybe + zinc oxide?)?

For the waterglass, perhaps use it to water down glue if you do indeed water down white or wood glue or something. Another possibility is to dry roll the tubes, and tape them off or something and just give them a good soaking in waterglass. I feel this one would make the hardest most fire resistant tube. It may however cause problems in case of CATO. I would be a bit afraid it could potentially form hard flying fragments. Potentially even sharp pieces.

Frank, what do you mean by "using waterglass instead?" Do you mean to add it to the glue or by its self or instead of the glue? I was just thinking about using waterglass(sodium silicate) on some tubes but I wasn't sure about how to go about it. Have you used it before? Would you use straight waterglass or waterglass + calcium carbonate(maybe + zinc oxide?)?

Just use the waterglass as you would with normal glue. Thinning the concentrated stuff from McMaster at a 1:1 ratio with water will make it easier to spread and soak into the paper.

Mixing the waterglass with calcium carbonate and a bit of zinc oxide makes a type of refractory cement that makes for good plugs, but probably won't have the spreadable and even coating characteristics that you want for rolling tubes. Unless you have a very thin uniform coating between the paper layers, your tubes will start to telescope after only a few turns.

Thanks. The waterglass I have is not very viscous so I think I'll use it to water down glue like Mumbles said. My problem is that I'm still trying to get a rock hard tube using Tyvek which doesn't absorbe the glue like paper does so the adhesive has to get rockhard between the layers instead of within the material its self.

Just wondering, how much calcium carbonate and zinc oxide do you use with the waterglass for the plugs? I haven't found any referances to the proportions any where I've looked.