APC Forum

sulfur added to perchlorate/aluminum flash powder composition.

Diorakal

Looking at your videos I’m reluctant to describe it in any detail.

I'll just warn you that with sulphur it will ignite just by mixing it in.

Why do you waste shells during daytime and on ground? A decent mortar costs much less than any of those big shells..

yes i admit this ikt not to smart..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EMBtNsPkxY

i did not know about danger of this but i learn from its..

and yes mortar but its more fun on ground :D its just epic !

just wanna drop in and say that KMnO4 fuel and sulfur doesnt ignite on contact

KMnO4 and sulfur are solids that does not without provocation react

ok so i can mix?

ok so i can mix?

yeah carefully and in small amounts, and also avoid keeping it lose inside a container as it may generate friction

also avoid handling it with a hammer or similar

yeah carefully and in small amounts, and also avoid keeping it lose inside a container as it may generate friction

also avoid handling it with a hammer or similar

ok and hamer? men im not crazy XD ok litel bit maybe but not like thats.. ;P

I've seen videos from that YouTube channel before and there's something that makes me very uneasy about an entire channel dedicated to making what cannot be described as anything but bombs.

and yes mortar but its more fun on ground :D its just epic !

I think it's been said plenty of times before but it doesn't take any skill to make something explode. No one who makes 'ground salutes' will ever impress anyone truly into pyrotechnics. A lovely glitter crossette shell on the other hand...

Edit:

What I should say is stay away from dangerous flash mixes. You might consider it 'epic' to make something go bang, but it's far less epic to be missing body parts or worse...

Edited by GMetcalf

To all those making KMnO4 flash... If you choose to make it, be *incredibly* careful and wear all the proper PPE!!! I don't have firsthand experience with it, but I hear it is nasty stuff. Especially with sulfur added. And doesn't it have a risk of spontaneous ignition and ignition from moisture? YIKES!!! If I were you, I would never make this at all or atleast stay in milligram quantities for experimental purposes.

It's been said multiple times on every pyrotechnics forum, essentially Potassium Permanganate does not have a role in pyrotechnics.

It's been said multiple times on every pyrotechnics forum, essentially Potassium Permanganate does not have a role in pyrotechnics.

I absolutely agree. Who ever heard of KMnO4 based stars?

i actually once decided when i was very unknowing of how pyrotechnics works to add nitrocellulose lacquer to KMnO4 Mg, it turned into an extremely bright start that burned very aggressively

however about amazing people with ground salutes? thats definitely possible, when you see a fuse burning in the distance and suddenly every loudness you ever heard is suddenly redefined, you feel your entire body being kicked, every object around you just vibrates and turns into one large speaker humming the deepest most massive sound you have ever heard, yeah.. thats impressive, there are still many people who cant leave themselves standing still after a large salute because of the adrenaline kick you get

but ill take it the most of the people on this forum only launches salutes on a open field where you could call it 100% free space for the pressure to expand, if you do it in a city which is rather common for new years eve, you are down to about 30-40% that free space, plus the sound echoes off the sorroundings rapidly, giving a massive chance of ringing ears, which is by itself rather astonishing as not everyone have tried such

perhaps its just because everyone in my family are sound experts to some point, speaker technicians etc, i think the amazement in visual fireworks comes with the much larger shells, and perhaps even pyrotechnic cakes gives too many imputs for the user to really take the time to acknowledge the art, it just fades into each other kind of..

i actually once decided when i was very unknowing of how pyrotechnics works to add nitrocellulose lacquer to KMnO4 Mg, it turned into an extremely bright start that burned very aggressively

I'm surprised that didn't explode like a giant Dragon's Egg!

yeah, that stuff selfconfines in rather small amounts, but a binder can do quite the difference.. im thinking its because compositions rely on the surface of reaction, rather than a detonation such as with "APNC putty" where it can violently detonate in small amounts on ignition

As far as I understood, the speed of reaction is dependent on the total metal fuel content. The more metal, the faster the heat is transferred through the star, thereby initiating the combustion reaction in more 3D space and if this happens fast enough, the combustion will happen all at once and it'll effectively explode (as a Dragon's Egg does). Maybe if the ratio of Permamganate to Magnesium is high enough, it'll behave more like a traditional star and less like a lump of flash...

Adding sulfur will make flash powder highly sensitive. It will be even more dangerous if stored for long periods.

If you want louder bangs just use a stronger casing for the shell.

If you want to increase the number of shells produced; when the casing is empty place a layer of coarse saw dust, place circa 70% - 80% of flash powder of your typical amount and again place a layer of saw dust. This will help the flash powder not to compact and keep oxygen in the casing. The resulting bang should be near that of the original amount.

• Like 1

We only allow flash discussion here if done in an intelligent, safe, and responsible manner. Over the last couple of days, the discussion has fit none of those criteria.

I suggest most of you guys start practicing some common sense. Permanganates have no place what-so-ever in pyro. It is unnecessarily sensitive with a wide variety of things, very notably sulfur. Traces of moisture can initiate runaway reactions with many organics. Plenty of people have experimented with it, hopefully in small amounts, but there is a very good reason that anyone with even marginal intelligence abandons it quickly.

I will say it again. If all you are interested in is blowing things up, making ground salutes, or creating destructive devices this is not the place for you. You are not welcome and will be immediately banned. This forum is for the safe and intelligent discussion of pyrotechnics.

• Like 2