APC Forum

Gearing Up For Spring

nater

I'm not sure if you can be trusted... I mean, i WANT to believe your promises, but... You keep doing this.

Of course i'm joking. And your full of great info, so we all want you to keep posting links every now and then.

Does it do the same thing if you use BBcode like i do to make the link under a word? Same behavior in the advanced editor?

It could be anything really. Forum script tied to your user level, some addon / plugin on your system, browser related...

Anyway, i try not to make a big deal of it, and fix the links i see. After all, i want to check whats on the other end anyway.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

B!

Up next is a similar rocket. Again, Hybrid #2 with FeTi delay and a firefly heading. This one has a bottom shot.

20150513_213127.jpg

Edited by nater

I thought about that when people were talking about making cone fountains.I never tried it,those formers I have to make mine were not cheap so I need to get good use from them.

These peat pots are 2-1/2" tapering to 1-1/2" X 2-1/4 long.

they can be exended with TP tubes, and are very biodegradable

they can be purchased a the dollar store or garden centers

post-19576-0-24016400-1431620146_thumb.jpg

Mumbles.

I was considering using the cones for headers on top of the motor, possibly a flat disc in the

wide end of the cone with a collar that slip fits onto the motor. I like to make modular components

that are quick to assemble at a club shoot. This would give a somewhat traditional looking rocket

cone header effect.

It felt great to fly a few rockets yesterday. The firefly stars ignited, but did not show up on the video. The aluminum did not all ignite, so the effect was weak. It did leave nice charcoal trails, but too few flashes. This comp is notorious for needing tweaked to function. I started with the original formula as published in the PGI Anthology and will increase the KNO3 to obtain a hotter burning star to ignite the aluminum flake.

The bottom shot needs to be louder, I might try a real slow burning delay so it is thinner and leaves more room in the end of the tube for the report.

Just a few tweaks on these and I will be ready for a flight of rockets with charcoal streamers and bottom shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj36Oc4veDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVP-Fk2e4Zk

Also shot were an assortment of 1/2" rockets. One effect I am experimenting on did not work, but that is okay. Here is a BP core burner with a salute and the other is a Hybrid #2 with a 2" cylinder shell with C6 stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYGVMa2IVrU

Edited by nater

Nice videos and rockets! I really enjoy 1/2" rockets myself. There are so many possibilities.

I like 1/2" motors too, but 3/4" are my favorite. 1/2" are great because they take so little fuel and don't need as much space to fly.

Nate, are you using the Transmet aluminum, or coarse flitters that have been screened to size? I've always had better luck with getting compositions utilizing screened flitters to light. You do have to go through more trouble trying getting all the fine stuff out however, to avoid giving the effect away too early.

I used the Transmet aluminums that Mike B does group buys on from time to time. He saw the rockets too and suggested the formula would need tweaked some to light all of the flitters.

Since I started with the original formula published by Kurt Medlin, I thought the next I would try is the recommendation to increase the KNO3 by 2 parts from John Glaswick. For those who don't know what I am talking about, this is all covered in a few articles published in the PGI Anthology.