APC Forum

Shell building question

braddsn

Looking for some opinions here, I have heard arguments on both sides. In a ball shell, how important is the tissue paper that separates the lift from the stars? Every shell I have made up to this point I have done it without the paper. I know that if the shells are going to be shipped, things can shift around inside the shell. But suppose they are not being shipped, rather stored in a magazine until the 4th.

Looking for some opinions here, I have heard arguments on both sides. In a ball shell, how important is the tissue paper that separates the lift from the stars? Every shell I have made up to this point I have done it without the paper. I know that if the shells are going to be shipped, things can shift around inside the shell. But suppose they are not being shipped, rather stored in a magazine until the 4th.

Lift is on the outside, stars are on the inside. Tissue paper or not, the shell should make sure these don't mix. Now, i'm nitpicking.

What your really asking is, should break-, or burst-charge and stars be separated. There isn't a real good answer. A good solid shell doesn't have anything inside that can move around. So the tissue paper separating the layers, isn't needed. But thats under ideal conditions. I've also heard people suggesting the sue of tissue paper to separate compounds that shouldn't be in contact with one and other, but this is a practice i'm not comfortable with. The tissue paper isn't that good of a life insurance. Bottom line... I use it for larger shells where i spend time building it layer by layer. There is no point in letting the layers blend together, if you start out taking the time to build em neatly to start with.

I tell my self the tissue paper lets the layers compact better, while still keeping the over all weight a bit lower. Probably just lying to my self, but still...

B!

• Like 1

Done it both ways and don't really see a difference in the final performance. Less messy when closing the hemis with the tissue though.
  • Like 2