APC Forum

Making a ball of fire

Involute

Newbie here. I'd like to ignite a stuffed animal (plush toy) and have it go up in a rapid ball of fire (faster than if I just doused it with kerosene, but not an explosion). I'll be setting it off with model rocket motor igniters, outside and from a safe distance. Can someone give me some tips for how to prepare the toy? Or, if you're in Los Angeles and want to make a few bucks, do it for me? Thanks for your help.

LOL... the picture in my head of this happening... is cracking me up! :) I am curious but what is this for? Are you doing it just for fun by yourself? Or some kind of presentation? Most of what we do on this forum deals with pyrotechnic compositions that are precisely mixed with a long list of chemicals, oxidizers, metals, colorants, etc...usually for fireworks. If I wanted to burn a plush toy in the manner you are describing, I would probably soak it with a little gasoline and ignite it from a SAFE distance. :) Sounds fun! Be careful, gasoline can be very dangerous, mainly because of the fumes.

Or take out all the stuffing and fill it with 70:30. Oh wait, no explosions. Drat.

I think thermite could give the effect you're looking for, just so long as you don't care about what the toy is sitting on.

The KNO3 sounds about right to me. But the toy needs to be made atleast in part out of cotton.

Edited by Stef727

You can find plush toys made out of cotton, but most are going to be made out of polyester or some other synthetic fiber. What would happen in that case? Also, what would I use for the KNO3 solution, and what proportions? Thanks.

I am curious but what is this for? Are you doing it just for fun by yourself? Or some kind of presentation?

A presentation, but it's a long story.

In my experience, cotton soaked in KNO3 doesn't burn with a flame, just smoke. You could easily remove the stuffing and replace it with cotton balls soaked in a KNO3 solution if you wanted to go that route.

It's likely a use for nitrocellulose. Replace usual stuffing with NC. Indoors there would be too much risk and hazard unless you are in a suitable lab. Outdoors this should be a fun project. What size cuddly toy has to die.

Probably a good job for a professional SFX person with insurance and all the permits for your locality.

There are only two ways that come to my mind that fit your needs.

The first and preferred one would be to take out the stuffing and restuff with NC. The NC you need is the fluffy stuff. I think you do not want to make it yourself, but it can be buyed at stores that sell things for magic tricks as flash cotton.

The second one would be to mix the stuffing with FFg and ignite it with a central bag off about 10-20g FFg.

• Like 1

Yes, stuff it full of gun cotton. :)

Edited by MWJ

Replace 25% of the content with shotgun powder -which may be available for reloading in your locality. Professionally I'd do several tests to determine how much powder makes how much mess and damage.

I hope this toy isn't some child's favourite, your life could be misery for years - He's the one that killed my teddy bear could be inscribed in memory of you.

If you just want a big ball of fire try this at a safe distance.

One gallon can like veggies come in. Dry it out. Drill a 1/8 inch hole near the bottom and place a piece of safety fuse with about 6 inches outside the can to light and have time to get away. Place a 1/4 of black powder in the can then place a layer of thin tissue over the black powder. Pour in powdered Cremora or similar powdered coffee creamer to about 2/3 full. This will make a very nice fire ball. Be sure to use black powder (Goex) and not a BP substitute. I doubt you would have benzolift but I can tell you from experience definitely do not use that- only regular ole black powder. You can sit your stuffed animal on top.

Edited by Merlin

If you just want a big ball of fire try this at a safe distance.

One gallon can like veggies come in. Dry it out. Drill a 1/8 inch hole near the bottom and place a piece of safety fuse with about 6 inches outside the can to light and have time to get away. Place a 1/4 of black powder in the can then place a layer of thin tissue over the black powder. Pour in powdered Cremora or similar powdered coffee creamer to about 2/3 full. This will make a very nice fire ball. Be sure to use black powder (Goex) and not a BP substitute. I doubt you would have benzolift but I can tell you from experience definitely do not use that- only regular ole black powder. You can sit your stuffed animal on top.

The effect I'm going for is just the stuffed animal, sitting there like an ordinary toy one moment, and then it bursts into flame the next. Putting it on top of something that bursts into flame isn't the same.

Outdoors this should be a fun project. What size cuddly toy has to die.

It will definitely be outside. The toy will be 1' - 2' tall.

It's likely a use for nitrocellulose. Replace usual stuffing with NC.

Would the NC be enough to ignite the skin? It seems like the stuffing would go up in a flash but then you'd be left with a singed bag of what used to be a stuffed animal.

The second one would be to mix the stuffing with FFg and ignite it with a central bag off about 10-20g FFg.

What's FFg?

At which point does NC self-contain, and explode, rather then burn of peacefully? Ever?

I'd think one has to make the toy, so that it can be made entirely out of NC. Buying a stuffed toy, removing the stuffing and filling it with NC will just create a heatsource inside it, that will either melt it or set it on fire. That is... Unless it simply explodes.

B!

I don't see a great way to do it where it is completely consumed and gone the next second. You can make a fireball but there will be a carcass left over. Even if it was stuffed with explosives it would leave behind a bunch of shredded pieces. Polyester will melt and turn into a puddle of plastic that likely will slowly burn. Cotton will probably just shred apart and maybe smolder and smoke a little.
  • Like 1

It doesn't have to disappear as with NC. I'm only going to show it burning for two or three seconds, so it can burn forever as far as I'm concerned. I just want it to be quickly covered in opaque flames (a blue or alcohol flame wouldn't work).

What is this for? Please explain. Forgive me for sounding rude, but many of us grow weary of presentations which do not accurately represent real situations. All I can picture is a fear mongering "demonstration" of a dangerous children's toy burning rapidly on contact with a spark. I have seen far too many videos to this effect for my profession and hobby with pyrotechnics.

Is this a commercial endeavour? If so, you will want to ensure the permits are all in place and any individuals involved have the proper licenses. California is not known for its friendly fireworks laws, so make sure you are following them.

• Like 1

Every state county and town in the USA has their own regulations and their own permit system for professional SFX operators. Usually starting with their proof of professionalism and competence.

• Like 1