APC Forum

3 Shells I tested tonight (Vid)

braddsn

Here are 3 more test shells I shot tonight. These all have 3% (by weight) slow flash booster dusted on the hulls. All 3 inch shells. The shells break in a somewhat downward fashion, because this particular mortar is close to my house, and it is angled away over a field. So the trajectory is not straight up... the shells start heading towards terra firma before they break. :) Xtreme Pyro gave me the comp formula for the willow shell. It turned out really nice I think. The break was huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN2OjrY5ZdI

• Like 1

Looks like you nailed it on the willow! Nice and round, but still a soft enough break that the stars had the chance to droop.

How big were your N1 stars?

The N1 stars were 9mm.. but I roll on peppercorns that average 3mm. So about 6mm of comp.

The willow almost looked like it has a glitter type effect but maybe that's just the camera. Did it have any metal in it?

Looking good.

If you care to hear my honest opine they were nice. The stars were of longer duration on the first shell which imo is better. Blue always warms my shorts and they got kinda warm on the 3rd one though fairly brief and i wear boxers so not bad. So far I like most all your shells but I have but one main oops..The duration is a bit short still. You got it good on the first of these 3 as far as that goes. If going bigger on star size puts a cramp in your shorts try slowing down the comps some. More tweaking and testing.

Thank you sparx! As for the duration, I am purposely keeping the stars a bit small so that there is a considerable contrast between my 3s and my 4s. On the 4th, my display will consist of nearly the same amounts of 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch shells. If I were only shooting 3s, i would make em break huge by increasing star size by 3mm. If you watch some chinese and japanese 3 inch shells, you will notice that they are relatively quick burning shells compared to 4s. Just my opinion. Thanks for the input, i still have plenty of work to do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice. Mine do not look that good. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1