APC Forum

Trying to purchase potassium perchlorate for binary explosive targets.

gmolsberry

Here is my tests wiht KClO3 & K3[Fe(CN)6]

1. Potassium chlorate / sodium benzoate
2. Potassium chlorate / antimony sulfide (V)

What he was saying is that in the "right ratios" (meaning ratios that will NOT result in a reactive mix) one can ball mill the two ingredients together. But one learns the "right ratios" with experience.

However, imho, there really isn't much reason to do so, even with the correct knowledge.

Probably safer with a very high ratio of potassium perchlorate vs aluminum than the other way around. As perc can't possibly burn with insufficient fuel but aluminum powder when fine enough CAN burn on its own (from atmospheric oxygen)

What bothers me is that the OP cannot find a supplier when several are listed on the forum. Sorry but looking round and reading lots of postsis part of joining a forum.

• 3 weeks later...

1 gram targets would be small.

'sides, first time I've heard of flash being shot at.

Something new?

There's a AFN article on this paint made from KCLO3, glass beads, and what not, and painted on a round stone that is ear numbing.

Put a 1/2" dollip on some paper, let it dry, and sure let ya know when it's hit.

What he was saying is that in the "right ratios" (meaning ratios that will NOT result in a reactive mix) one can ball mill the two ingredients together. But one learns the "right ratios" with experience.

However, imho, there really isn't much reason to do so, even with the correct knowledge.

Probably safer with a very high ratio of potassium perchlorate vs aluminum than the other way around. As perc can't possibly burn with insufficient fuel but aluminum powder when fine enough CAN burn on its own (from atmospheric oxygen)

1200+ posts between these 2 and explaining how to "MILL" perc. and dark aluminum together?????

Am I reading this correct??

NOBODY listen to that!!!!

Never mill oxidizers with metal.

Do not mill metal in a jar that's been used to mill oxidizers, and vice versa.

Or chlorates in a jar used to make BP.

See safety rule number 1

Dan K.

You guys need to look up "Lloyd Sponenburgh" and read his tome on ball mills. In fact, everyone should. But especially if you are entertaining the idea of milling flash powder.

I shouldn't have said it because I should have known people can't read everything I wrote and focus on one thing.

In the RIGHT RATIO KClO4 and aluminum can be milled. And done so safely.

I personally know Lloyd and own and have read his paper on ball milling multiple times. And I'm almost positive he would agree with my statement because I'm almost certain he has said the same thing.

Regardless if it is dangerous or not, your ball mill should be operated remotely in a place where an accident wouldn't hurt anything and would just be an inconvenience.

But if you don't understand what I'm saying and is being discussed, then yes, never do it or attempt it. It was a bad example because few people probably understand and I shouldn't have said it. But, it doesn't make what I said less true.

FlaMtnBkr, my statement wasn't directed towards you. Sorry if it came across that way. I am talking to folks who are not quite sure what they are doing and could make a serious mistake. If a guy is to mill KCLO4 and Al in a ball mill, he better know exactly what he is doing. Not everyone knows exactly what they are doing... that's all. I am sure you agree that some folks need to familiarize themselves with Lloyd. :)

I shouldn't have said it because I should have known people can't read everything I wrote and focus on one thing.

In the RIGHT RATIO KClO4 and aluminum can be milled. And done so safely.

I personally know Lloyd and own and have read his paper on ball milling multiple times. And I'm almost positive he would agree with my statement because I'm almost certain he has said the same thing.

Regardless if it is dangerous or not, your ball mill should be operated remotely in a place where an accident wouldn't hurt anything and would just be an inconvenience.

But if you don't understand what I'm saying and is being discussed, then yes, never do it or attempt it. It was a bad example because few people probably understand and I shouldn't have said it. But, it doesn't make what I said less true.

Dan K

Edited by odan56

I'm not going to reply again. I edited my post soon after realizing the mistake but I can't change every post. Let's just let this thread die and fall off the front page where it was before it was brought to the top to be read again.

There are plenty of warnings not to do it so without deleting it which can't be done, sitting quietly in the archives is the best place for it.

BTW, I haven't destroyed any ball mills and shooting flash is very common and it's sold in most sporting goods stores like Bass Pro and Gander Mountain labeled as small caliber exploding targets.

I was going to let this die, but for what it's worth, Lloyd weighed in on this personally.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.pyrotechnics/UGAyZ-Lid68

Then said later on passfire:

I was asked on the UseGroup rec.pyrotechnics whether or not it was advisable to ball mill flash powder.

I said it was not wise, and would end up in a cataclysmic explosion. I suggested that one might get away with milling a very starved mixture, like 5% aluminum and 95% perchlorate, although I also advised against that.

So the OP asked, "What if the formula doesn't contain ANY aluminum?", to which I replied, "Then substitute magnesium in exactly that same amount."

Opinions? Was I clear?

Lloyd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the original subject, I'm surprised nobody pointed this out -

If you try and buy perc and dark aluminum at the same time, nobody in the US will accept your order (unless you have a history with that seller). It's illegal for anyone to sell you the ingredients for flash powder, if they know or can reasonably assume that's what you intend to make. If you've already tried to buy the combination and had the order refused, you're screwed with that vendor.

Many vendors won't sell you perc alone on the first order, for the same reason. You have to buy something else pyro-related first to establish some history.

Good point Peret, also consider that Harry keeps computer records too so that if you come back to missing piece, you will also get denied.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my tests wiht KClO3 & K3[Fe(CN)6]

1. Potassium chlorate / sodium benzoate

2. Potassium chlorate / antimony sulfide (V)

Am I reading this right, Potassium CHLORATE and Antimony Sulfide. Someone has a death wish. I am old enough to remember torpedoes and why they were banned. I once mistakenly made an orange comet formula with chlorate and antimony trisulfide. I realized my mistake instantly when after about 10 comets I noticed a tiny puff of smoke off the top of the press. I just about crapped my pants. I took the ones I did make to a Weedsport NY pyro convention back in the early 90's and we used them as a novelty scratch and light and throw comet. All you had to do was scrape it on the ground and it would fire up. Any sulfur compound will incredibly sensitize chlorate mixes. It is not worth the risk for any effect