APC Forum

Can I add a prime layer to a batch of stars that are already primed.

Leatherlips

I have some rubber stars that seem not to light in a shell (though they do in a mine). I wasn't sure if adding a layer to fencepost prime to them would make them easier to ignite or if I should just use them for mines and start over. When using in a shell (2" cylinder shells) only a couple ignite.

I used the skylighter rubber star project as well as their cylinder shell instructions.

I also have read in this forum that maybe the break is too hard? I did add a slow flash booster to the shells.

in any case, can I add a layer of fencepost on finished stars or is that a waste?

Thanks!

Hello! A couple questions will help us answer your questions. First, what color are ya working with? Second, what kind of prime are you using? Is the bp in your prime ball milled or scratch mix? (Scratch mix is better in this case, it burns slower) And 3rd, your black powder.. what type of charcoal are you using, and is it ballmilled? Without knowing the answers to the above questions, here is a little input. If you have a good ballmilled black powder with sufficient power, you will not need any booster in your shells. Every person's situation is different, because we all make slightly different black powder, have different pasting methods, etc. But, if they are lighting in your starmines, that tells me that your prime is probably sufficient. I say that because, if your prime was insufficient, it would be more likely that they would light in a shell, and not in a mine. A shell is generally pasted with several layers, and that contains the burst and produces higher temperatures which is more likely to light stars. In my case, every shell that I have ever boosted has blown blind stars. If I put 3 grams of flash in a 4 inch shell, you will hear the burst but see nothing! However, some guys can add flash with no problems. So my suggestion is to load up another shell, and leave out the booster. Make sure your pasting (and spiking) are good, and I would bet your stars will light. I asked about color because sometimes blue can be a bxxch! With every size shell I have built so far, I have tried boosting just for the heck of it, and blown blind stars every time. Good luck, hope this helps.

Oh and I forgot to answer your actual question.... Sure, you can add prime to a star that is already primed, no problem. But try a shell without booster before you do that..

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I used bp rice hulls in the shell. This bp used on the rice hulls was commercial (ffffg if I remember correctly).

First, what color are ya working with? Green (used this article: http://www.skylighter.com/how_to_make_fireworks/Red_Rubber-Stars.asp barium nitrate was substituted for all of the strontium nitrate)

Second, what kind of prime are you using? Two primes were used as indicated in the above article, "Black Powder Parlon-Star Prime", and "hot igniter prime" .

Is the bp in your prime ball milled or scratch mix? (Scratch mix is better in this case, it burns slower) scratch mix (I used the recipe in the article)

And 3rd, your black powder.. what type of charcoal are you using, and is it ballmilled? It's purchased airfloat. (not specifically willow) - this is for the prime, the rice hulls used commercial

Thanks so much for the info. I'll give non-boosted a try to see if that helps. Also, I was using a plastic cylinder shell (pvc cement) and used filament/strapping tape. I've not yet tried a paper shell.

Ok... you are on the right track. I use bp on rice hulls for my burst, a 7:1 ratio. 7 parts bp meal to 1 part hulls. Try without a booster.. I bet they light. If not, post back here and we will go from there. Sounds like to me your prime is probably good. I was just like you when I started.. I wanted hard breaks so I started out boosting everything. I later found out that it didn't work for me. I get super hard breaks from strong bp and good pasting.

There are two reasons a shell can have blind stars in this scenario. Either the prime isn't sufficient to ignite the star, or they're getting blown out as they fly away from the burst. To me, this case sounds like the second one. I second Brad's suggestion. Try one without booster and see how it goes. From there you might be able to work your way back up.

Adding a thicker layer of prime as you suggested may also help. Certain stars are more prone to being blown out. Basically it means the star is traveling too fast to stay ignited. Putting on a thicker layer will allow the star to slow a little more before actually igniting.