APC Forum

"Plug Burner"

TheGandalf

Hello.

I thought of making a star mix, as shown in this video:

- However, only with KNO3, Sulphur, Charcoal and Dextrin. Then press it in the form it should have down the tube.

Has anyone tried this before. All answers can be used! :)

Best Regards

Morten // TheGandalf

Edited by TheSidewinder
Corrected title

Isn't that a match cracker? Do you want to be able to strike it on a match box to light? If so, you need a special composition that contains a chlorate.

If not and you just want to light with a lighter then you can use various compositions but you will have to experiment with burn rates to make sure it burns long enough. But one of the traditional compositions that has a very slow burn rate is glusatz. A search here will bring up the formula. I don't have my notes handy but it is barium nitrate based.

I also have a feeling that the composition in the picture you have shown was poured in place as a thick slurry and allowed to dry. That is the only way I can imagine that raised and rounded end was formed. Someone else might have more info on that.

Yes, it is indeed a match cracker

It must be ignited with a normal lighter!

I will try to search glusatz, to see whether it can be used.

Thank you!

What problem are you trying to solve exactly?

If you're looking for a delay of some sort, look up spolettes. They're basically a pressed column of BP that provides a delay.

Is "the red thing" meant to make it easier to ignite? Or is this just a replacement for a fuse?

Looking at your picture makes no sense to me, sorry. Got me curious tho.

Whats a "bruner"? Did you mean burner? (twice..)

I think he's asking how to make the match composition, Gandalf your safest best for something like that would probably be a pull-string system. Here are a couple examples..

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/3755-pull-ignitor/?hl=pull

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/2392-alternate-pull-string-igniters/?hl=pull

I would advise you to NOT use this for any type of exploding device.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

If it doesn't need to be able to light by striking then you can use black powder. But glusatz is used in traditional match crackers to get an adequate delay in a short column of composition. If you use black powder you will need a fairly tall column of BP to get 3 or 4 seconds of delay. If having a bit over an inch of BP isn't an issue then I would probably press a column of BP with a little empty space at the end of the tube. Then I would mix up BP, dextrin, and water to a clay like consistency and scoop/press some in the empty place. Then press into a pile of granulated BP so there are rough granules protruding from the tube that will take fire easily.

If you use glusatz as a delay you can get 5-7 second delay out of a quarter inch column of comp. It just burns much slower so you can have a lot of empty space in the tube for other stuff.

As mentioned, I wouldn't try to make anything that explodes in this manner.

Okay. I messed up the title !! it should have been burner.

There should not at all be a delay because after my mix of black powder comes a normal visco fuse

The unit is not going to explode. it is a smoke bomb.

So you want to make a smoke bomb with a small flare at the beginning to be lit with fuse?
  • Like 1

I don't want to light the fuse. :)

Yesterday i tried to make a sample, with the black powder dissolved i acentone.. It work! :)

Then make a short spolette, problem solved. No need to wet anything or pour compositions. Just press it dry.

Yeah, definitely don't see the point if you have, and are using, visco. But I hope you accomplish what you are wanting to do.