APC Forum

possible composition of a very very slow lance

pyrodoc

Hi all,

It was two or three years ago when i went for a marriage celebration and saw an old time pyro lighting 3 inch shells with a cigarette size ? lance like thing. I was not into compositions at that time.

The flame was very dull greenish or possibly whitish blue. But, it burnt for as long as 40 or 45 seconds or more. Size of the flame in itself was very less just enough to light visco in a jiffy. Just had a conversation with a pyro at my place and he said it must have been a lance containing chlo or perc.

My ques is aint the addition of perc etc enhance the color?

What can be the possible comp? Sorry, for my newbie questions. I know i have to do a lot of reading before making this.

Most AP formulas will burn for a long time, well over the 45 seconds you mentioned. Are you looking for a specific color and for what use?

Most AP formulas will burn for a long time, well over the 45 seconds you mentioned. Are you looking for a specific color and for what use?

Not looking for a specific color (Though, blue and violet or purple would be nice.

Purpose is manual firing of preloaded 3" shells placed 5 to 6 feet apart. The number of mortars is around 50 to 60 at one time. So, require slow burn and least poss flame.

Why not just use a torch, which also happens to have a blue flame?

-Blue Lance-

49 - Ammonium Perchlorate

22 - Barium Nitrate

12 - Hexamine

6 - Potassium Perchlorate

5 - Red Gum or Phenolic Resin

4 - Copper Oxychloride

2 - Dextrin

100 - TOTAL

Try that and see if it burns slow enough

Almost certainly a "portfire" -anything up to about 15 inches long that burn down to just a handle, giving as you say a small steady flame, some are green ish.

Portfires should come from your usual firework supplier but can be made.ISTR a portfire compound on here based on peanut butter.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/138-fuses/page-14?hl=%2Bpeanut+%2Bbutter+%2Bportfire&do=findComment&comment=46419

All the oxidisers are possible, Chlorate, Perc, Pot Nitrate and Barium Nitrate will be common.

In the UK the favoured tool for lighting fuse is the Rothenburger/Bernzomatic automatic plumbers blowtorch, hot flame on a trigger that goes out between uses so costs almost nothing for gas.

Remember that you HOLD this in your HAND so make sure, then doubly sure that there is a handle to hold. A lance relies on having a fine paper tube, do some tests before you hold one.

Arthur that peanut butter portfire looks easy. Thanks, for posting the link.

@ddewees: chlorates and perc are banned items here.

Agaun the prime couldt ignite it. I will.use powdered stars or just bp to ignite next time.

This time i applied direct flame to it after that and it burns pretty slow.

Also, the paper covering was too thick and it contributed to a thick flame. I will make a portfire without peanut butter now, peanut butter is too costly in terms of INR so better to eat rather than burn it.

Still, i am happy that the attempt was partly successful.

Happy new year 2015 to all pyros here.

I just buy portfires and put them in the store. For those that cannot then careful choice of recipe and method is essential. That Peanut Butter mix should be available round the world, the method used by the original poster isn't described in the traditional way, but the results he had were good.

Make certain that you have made a handle that will stay cold, mark the cold bit.

Edited by Arthur

Hi Arthur,

You are right it should have a handle to.hold. So, i extunguished it just half way. It was my first attempt. Next time no peanut butter and the paper covering to be thinner.

I need to try more formulas but without chlorates and percs.

Maybe try a glusatz which is very slow burning. If the components aren't milled together it burns about 30 sec per inch or a little over a second per mm.

The only issue I could see is that the ash can be a bit hard but I imagine you would still be able to light stuff with it.

The following is taken from Danny Creagan's web site, there is no protection on his writings that I can see but if I post this in violation, please inform me and I will take it down post haste!

Glusatz is the name of a slow burning mixture used in German "Knallkorpers" (matchbook firecrackers).
Glusatz burns reliably and can be used for long time delay fuses. See the video at the end of this page. The following glusatz formula purports to burn at 30 seconds per inch. However, made the way shown it burns somewhere around 14 seconds per inch.
You can experiment with different proportions of ingredients to adjust the burn speed. The mixture seems to burn reliably even if modifying the quantities by several percentage points.
Ingredients:
Barium nitrate 75.5
Charcoal (airfloat - Skylighter or Service Chemical charcoal works fine) 10
Sulfur 10
Meal 3
Cab-O-Sil 1
CMC 0 .5
Dist. water +6 (dissolve CMC first then add remaining ingredients)
Source: Glusatz was described in a book called "Big Bang Theory and Practice" which I have not seen. The reference to the book was gleaned from several older posts on rec.pyrotechnics. Glusatz was also described on the APC forum. Specific names of posters are left off but I will cite them if they wish (contact us by using the email address on the index page).

Nice joint!!! lol

Not a joint. Just that the tube bent slightly while applying pressure.