APC Forum

Spider Shell

schroedinger

Got some questions on spider shells.

Which stars should be used?

I'am looking for the classic charcoal tailed one and for a for a silver tailed one.

I intended to use cut stars, how do they need to be primed?

And on the construction, i couldn't find to much about the construction just that the strong burst is produced by a flash bag, but how about the remaining part off the shell? Fill all spaces with 2 FA?

How much flash for the break? 4 " 7g of 7/3 or use slow flash?

If you have Pyrotechnica XI aka Fulcanelli Part 2, it describes exactly how to make Spider and Sfera breaks.

The comp is:

KNO3: 55

Airfloat Charcoal: 27.5

Sulfur: 10.7

Lampblack: 0.8

Dextrin: 6

Stars are cut after being dusted with green mix BP as usual. I can get the table for flash bags on each size when I get home near my copy of the text. Use polverone to fill the remaining spaces.

• Like 1

I use 3g 70/30 in plastic shell.

You might have to back that off a freckly for the 4 in. 7 grams is pushing it in my experience.

Just another method...

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/12-11-20144-31-29PM_zpsc1a3bc37.png

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/12-11-20144-44-06PM_zps173e40a8.png

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/12-11-20144-32-07PM_zps329dc569.png

• Like 2

1/4 oz of 8:3:1 for a 4" cylinder. I typically use a liner when making spiderweb shells, with Polverone for filler between the stars. For a pure silver, you may want to try a flitter type comp. Or I've also used C6 + 15% spherical TI -40+100 mesh. Edited by Carbon796

I just uploaded the Fulcanelli parts 1 and 2 in a separate thread.

Hi Schroedinger,

This video shows a rocket with a 3" canister and 3/4" cut stars. ( Not enough stick for the hot BP motor)

The formula: KNO3 - 15

coal - 9 -

sulfur - 2

dextrin - 2

ball milled 1 hour, wet with 75 % H2O 25% rubbing alcohol

Took me about a week to dry

Matt

Flashbags for burst, quoted from Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction Part 2.

3" - 1/8 oz

4" - 1/4 oz

5" - 3/8 oz

6" - 1/2 oz

The text says that ordinary flash powder is used. I use 7/3/1 for most purposes, but the point is to use a "standard" flash powder and nothing exotic is needed. Slow KNO3 flash may work, but I do not know for sure.

What do you wanna say by that?

I like to see Westech stuff pop up. It doesn't happen too often. The price of the book alone scares many away. I used to try to reproduce many of the things in the book mostly related to the set pcs. Its kind of old school reminiscing for me.

I suspected you were talking to me, but was unsure. Just started reading through it yesterday looking for something interesting.

I suspected you were talking to me, but was unsure. Just started reading through it yesterday looking for something interesting.

edit Yes I was but it doesn't matter.

The material is mostly unoriginal from Westech, but you will have plenty to look at though. :)

Edited by marks265