APC Forum

4" willow to blue

enanthate

Made a "trashshell" out of the first batch of stars from the thread "rolling issues", which were quite a disaster (uneven in sizes, both cores and finished product).

I was a bit surprised of how well they worked. Not a perfect shell, but usable for my expectations.

4" willow to blue:

• Like 1

This is quite a gorgeous shell! Im very impressed.There is a bit of an equator, but the overall timing for each effect is quite good.

Dude that was beautiful!! Very nice work!! The timing from willow to blue was perfect!!!

Not bad at all for a "trashshell'! :blink:

Thanks guys,

The equator has been removed (as much as possible) on future shells, thanks Tyron.

That is Pihko KP 2,

Kclo4 63

Cuo 13

Parlon 14

Red gum 10

Acetone, cut for core size. Tip for you Livingston, I find it alot easier to handroll these until they get ~round.

pretty. good blue, nice burn time on the willow and fairly crisp transition. if you're less than pleased, i can't wait to see what really does it for you. gonna throw down with the japanese??

looking forward to more of your work.

• Like 2

Thanks, Roger!

Figured we need to increase our standards to ever have a chance to catch up with them..

Got about 6 shells ready, excited to see how they turn out. Videos will come.

Might save them until NYE if I can just find more mortars.........!

My first encounter with roll stars were by hand lol...I made this glitter to blue before I had any idea on shell building and stars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oGtruXwYClk

I've since the. Have been working perfecting my style. I did what I could with 1 hand and the knowledge I had at the time. Still your shell was very nice. I'm loving it. Can't wait to see more. Hell shoot more and build more for NYE. I know if I could shoot more I will be able to critique myself and have others critique to get my style down pat?!!

I have probably got 1000 tubes in racks, but the problem is the shipping.

"Just make more shells" is certainly easier said than done! I dont understand how some of you guys can make batches of 25 shells etc.

Dynomike from? I assume America(?). What would it cost to ship to europe you think?

post-19283-0-26309200-1417977017_thumb.jpg

post-19283-0-30604600-1417977473_thumb.png

not sure exactly what country you're in, but shipping from here to europe looks painful...200-400 w/standard shipping services. i may be doing it wrong but, HOLY CHIT MAYNG!!!

Hmm... I paid 35 bucks for express shipping, harbor freight 3lb ball mill.

Was thinking it could cost 100-200 for several(6,7?) mortars.

I have probably got 1000 tubes in racks, but the problem is the shipping.

Are you looking to sell?

• 2 weeks later...

Fired another shell yesterday. Not the best, I know.

The break was massive tho, and a joy to watch!

Strobes didn't all ignite it seems. Also, they strobed fast (4-5hz) on the groundtests, but very slowly in the air. I thought it was deffinitely the opposite, this was kinda strange to me. I suppose this is normal then?

http://youtu.be/WDTHzQe1IC0?list=UUXBV6kjy7RhE_vtPvNgSucw

Edit, sorry for the shaky hand, it's bloody cold here these days!!

Edited by enanthate

Usually that is the way it works with strobes. It is best to test the stars in a stargun for a accurate gauge of burn rate ,. I have some AP greens that are super fast on the ground ,,,almost a shimmer effect, but in the air it is slower by far. I am after a really fast shimmer effect in the air.

looks good, enan! what's next on the list? i just finished a pound of D1 cut, half 1/4" and half 3/8".

Thanks Roger!

Got 6 more shells waiting to be fired, all different kinds. I allways try new formulas, so a success is never guaranteed.

Tt to green strobe, red to red strobe, willow to dragon eggs, etc.

Got a 6inch with 16mm n1 pumped, this is the only shell I am confident about. A big beauty that is!

Expect to see your D1's in your topic then!

Thanks pyrojig, made a batch with fast strobing reds last night. Will see if they turn out better.

Edit: finished 2pcs 3" today, willow to dragon eggs. Bulk filled vs "normal" filled, vid coming in couple of days.

Edited by enanthate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're making beautiful shells! I like the rising effects...! What booster do you use to break the shells? Do you paste the shells by hand or machine...?

Thanks!

No booster was used. Have been using slowflash lately, but going back to using no booster at all again.

I paste by hand unfortunately, but a pastingmachine is under construction. More on this later.

The rising effect should have gone off at an earlier point (1,5sec). Dont know what happened really. Looked good tho, I liked the crackles going off with TT in the background!

Without a booster they break pretty well! I paste my shells by hand too, i like to make my fireworks the traditional and simplest way. I do like the idea of a pasting machine, but i don't know... it takes some of the ''magic'' out for me in this hobby... if you make large numbers of shells, or make them commercially, it might be a must to have one. And of course it's just a cool machine haha.

Well its like you say, cool to have.

Half of the fun goes into building it (personally i love making machines\tools), the other half is not having to paste anymore!

The 3" are a joy, the 4" is a bit too much. I would like to put more focus on stars and the shell, and keep handpasting at only a joyful level. As soon as there are 4-5-6 4" shells waiting to be pasted its timeconsuming and it kinda falls out of priority.

Handpasted shells look better indeed, and the more work you put into it the more you enjoy shooting it. There is alot of work behind a homemade pastingmachine that works properly though, so i probably wont be taking too much of the charm out of it.

Edited by enanthate

I totally agree with that, making machines is just as much fun. I had a lot of fun building my visco fuse machine even though i can get the fuse pretty cheap... i just liked to make the machine, and to see it actually works! I feel pretty the same about pasting multiple shells by hand, but once i set my mind to it, things happen fast. Just like ramming rocket engines: it's a boring job but i need them anyway. So several days a year i put myself to labor and knock out a dozen or so. It has to be done anyway. I have been thinking of building a press that can press 7 rockets in one time but there is a lot of trouble and material needed for such a thing. Plus it will become a large machine with a lot of different molds. And i think it won't be more productive. So I've let go of that for now.