APC Forum

Safety regarding Hand Pulverisation of BP

stix

I checked around a little, and the shipping i'm actually able to find makes it more expensive then outright buying it, and having it shipped from USA to Sweden. Which is weird, considering the distance isn't THAT different. On the other hand, best shipping i found was the "sea" buy Australian postal services. What do i know, i have no idea what actually is cheap shipping in Australia.

The offer is nice enough, but by the looks of it, you should use it your self. I'd probably alloy it with at-least some pure lead, just to make sure it's not to hard, but in reality as long as it dents it shouldn't fracture, and Linotype is none sparking... i think.

B!

Fair enough - I would think you should be able to buy ready made media in the EU? It's a real pain living in Australia with regard to the cost of shipping most things in or out (unless in bulk). The same goes for taking a trip to Europe or the US, the main cost is the plane fare.

The linotype lead I have doesn't seem too brittle - I have a small melted piece approx. 5mm thick and I was able to dent it using a hammer - after repeated blows it did eventually crack. I'll probably most likely never bother to cast balls out of it.

Anyway thanks for your advice and knowledge, and to all others that have contributed to this thread - which has got an bit off topic :)

The end result is that I now have a workable ball mill, which is much more efficient and safer than the "shaker method".

I still can't believe my stupidity and disregard for safety - I'm usually a pretty cautious and non-risk taking person, but after reading about other peoples accidents, I had an epiphany of sorts and asked myself a simple question: "Would I be prepared to accept the consequences if this thing blew up in my hand?" The answer obviously was NO!

Cheers.

Then the main goal was achieved. Now remember that the best media for BP, hands down, is lead balls. I linked the mold i prefer earlier, since it's cheap, and casts a bunch at the same time, but to be honest, the mold isn't perfect out of the box. (Yes, i still think you should ;- Þ)

Anyways. Good luck. And take care.

B!