APC Forum

Why does BP burn SO MUCH faster when granulated?

Ubehage

I've always just used 65:35 KNO3:table sugar +1% Fe2O3. It may not be perfect, but is definitely serviceable.
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, the "optimal" formula that got posted here is the PGI optimized formula for lift. Nothing more, nothing less. I agree with Seymour though, the ingredients you choose will have far more variability and affect on your BP than the formula itself. Although certain charcoals, grape vine comes to mind, have benefited from modified formulas.

For what it's worth, no one has made comparison videos, because videos are useless for this. They're great for illustrating methods and showing off, but garbage for real comparisons. Numbers reign supreme, even if it's at the expense of practitioners who use youtube as their sole resource. There is also really only one formula made by one method (milling), with two variations on grain formation (corning and granulating). Slight modifications are of course prevalent, but it all usually ends up basically the same. Anything else is just a half-assed, lazy, or esoteric method with sub-par results.

Might I steer you guys toward Danny Creagan's website. I think you'll find it helpful. http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/charcoal_tests.html

Just to clarify, the "optimal" formula that got posted here is the PGI optimized formula for lift.

True. It was more for the sake of the argument. There is no perfect formula for BP.

B!