APC Forum

Lesson learned: Do NOT dry BP on a heating-pan!

Ubehage

These items are past job leftovers when I used to weld up frames for Explorers. I was aware that the weld garments shouldn't be washed and know damn well that they can burn. As far as protecting from ray burns, they really don't help there either. I usually turn my cotton cap around on my head and yes, my ears are still exposed. The face shield is down against my chest while working the mill jar.

It may not be perfect but sure better than nothing when emptying the mill jar.

True that it is better than nothing, and I didnt mean to come off as if this was directly at you. I hate those jackets with a royal passion. Got to the point where I buy all my own PPE so I get what works rather than what OSHA says is good enough.

Most of the face shields that people wear provide very little protection when dealing with a BP flame envelope.

Most blasts/flames will roll around the edges of a face shield and still burn your face.

A pullover balaclava similar to what race car drivers wear will provide good protection for your face and neck.

The only other concern is your eyes which will need protection.

PPE includes full body cover in nomex, protex, or Bizweld or even wool serge. The military have flash hoods to protect head and neck, motor sport has similar. Gloves can be leather -even gauntlets. Where there a meet between two garments check it's held closed so that flame doesn't get inside. Masks and helmets can be found in power tool and fire service suppliers.

HOWEVER the first thing you need to do is wear the PPE. I've seen lots of vids of people testing things in T-shirt and shorts. The weather may suggest shorts but pyro should say nomex.

A balaclava, and a full face shielding MC helmet, and complete leather bike gear, sure sounds like it would remain on a hook next to the door out in the shed. It would be safer if worn, but thats just it, there is a point when people will bypass security for comfort. Exactly what that point is, differs from player to player, so to speak.

B!

Not to be that guy again, but what in the FUCK made you think this was a good idea in the first place? Accidents lately have been caused 100% by ignorance and complacency- PPE wont protect you from yourself im afraid.

• Like 1

Not to be that guy again, but what in the FUCK made you think this was a good idea in the first place? Accidents lately have been caused 100% by ignorance and complacency- PPE wont protect you from yourself im afraid.

I am afraid that thats not really helpful to say it that way but your point is well taken.

• Like 1

+1

+2

This is too damned funny. I know of an idiot that wants to be fried a second time cause he won't learn that he's that stupid!

• Like 1

What I learned from this:

1. Self-confidence is a bad thing! Healthy fear and respect will (maybe) keep me alive.
2. Routine is my greatest enemy.

A balaclava, and a full face shielding MC helmet, and complete leather bike gear, sure sounds like it would remain on a hook next to the door out in the shed. It would be safer if worn, but thats just it, there is a point when people will bypass security for comfort. Exactly what that point is, differs from player to player, so to speak.

B!

A point well taken. With this gear, I would be a sweat-soaked, dehydrating mess within 10 minutes. I can't think clearly in that condition, which is just begging for an accident. Better less protection and more clear thinking, IMHO.

What I learned from this:

1. Self-confidence is a bad thing! Healthy fear and respect will (maybe) keep me alive.

2. Routine is my greatest enemy.

#1, yes, for sure. I couldn't disagree more with # 2. Routine is my greatest friend!

I am just getting into pyro. I am also do backyard foundry (melting & casting aluminum, brass, etc), casting lead into bullets, media, etc, reloading ammunition, and some shade tree mechanic stuff. In every case, when engaging in these hobbies, I have a routine I follow RELIGOUSLY. Step 1, 2, 3, etc is the same as last time. I set up my foundry the same way every time. I plan & walk through pouring every casting. 2 escape routes. Shutting down & taking apart. When I'm reloading, every move is a routine, down to which hand always does what. Etc.

My point is, having a routine sets up a safe action base. That clears my mind to focus on the details of the task at hand.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Eagle66
  • Like 1

#1, yes, for sure. I couldn't disagree more with # 2. Routine is my greatest friend!

I am just getting into pyro. I am also do backyard foundry (melting & casting aluminum, brass, etc), casting lead into bullets, media, etc, reloading ammunition, and some shade tree mechanic stuff. In every case, when engaging in these hobbies, I have a routine I follow RELIGOUSLY. Step 1, 2, 3, etc is the same as last time. I set up my foundry the same way every time. I plan & walk through pouring every casting. 2 escape routes. Shutting down & taking apart. When I'm reloading, every move is a routine, down to which hand always does what. Etc.

My point is, having a routine sets up a safe action base. That clears my mind to focus on the details of the task at hand.

The thing about routine... It's way to easy to start cutting corners, and not even realizing it your self.

What i mean is, having routines is good, letting a task become routine, is not. When your running on autopilot it's just a matter of time before you screw up. I believe this is more semantics, or linguistics, then a difference of opinions.

Compare it to driving a car. When your new, you make one sort of errors, mostly about overestimating your ability, and judging others reactions. As you get more experienced you start doing a different kind of erroring, more often then not starting not to leave room for small mistakes. (Laps of concentration, yours or others, and so on) It's become routine, mundane, it's simply another boring task. Trying to get it over with, in the smallest amount of time, with the least amount of effort.

Anyway, i don't intend to blow my self up, so i try and stay vigilant. But thats also the drawback of this hobby being illegal here. You cant really collaborate with anyone else, and as you do, put attention to (possibly) unsafe behavior with one and others habits.

B!

• Like 1

A point well taken. With this gear, I would be a sweat-soaked, dehydrating mess within 10 minutes. I can't think clearly in that condition, which is just begging for an accident. Better less protection and more clear thinking, IMHO.

Again, just my opinion.

I agree :)

What I meant was, that routine is generally what causes people to get sloppy and do things "faster" than usual. And that is a very dangerous enemy to let inside...