APC Forum

Stored flash is clumping. Possible moisture.

Ubehage

Hey guys,

Well, as the title says, I have stored some "blue" flash. Not by intentions, I simply forgot I had the mixture... :wacko:

When I found it, I discovered that it has begun to clump in the container.

My first thought was "Is this moisture, or just KClO4 clumping?"

To be honest, I am not 100% sure that my containers are moist-proof.. I guess I just got a small lesson, and will get some better containers asap.

Now, to my questions to you guys:

1. Will flash clump by itself?

2. Can it be moisture, that made it clump?

Regardless, I threw out the composition. Safety first; and I have seen what moisture and Alu/BP does. I am not taking any chances.

I have had perc in tied bags inside taped tubs that is clumpy- To be sure, you could add a small desiccant next time.

Did you at least light it?

Yes, I threw it into the fire. It made a nice little earth-fountain. And everything around the fireplace also caught fire. It was a little awesome :D

Edited by Ubehage

I'm going to take it for granted that you are talking about an outside fire place. even still... careful. Decent flash would have a good chance of self confining and scattering the embers and logs in all directions.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Well, as the title says, I have stored some "blue" flash. Not by intentions, I simply forgot I had the mixture... :wacko:

When I found it, I discovered that it has begun to clump in the container.

My first thought was "Is this moisture, or just KClO4 clumping?"

To be honest, I am not 100% sure that my containers are moist-proof.. I guess I just got a small lesson, and will get some better containers asap.

Now, to my questions to you guys:

1. Will flash clump by itself?

2. Can it be moisture, that made it clump?

Regardless, I threw out the composition. Safety first; and I have seen what moisture and Alu/BP does. I am not taking any chances.

Lots of perc is clumpy, the addition of aluminum doesn't always make that go away. Burning flash? I would fluff it with rice hulls and make a shell rather than burn it off.

• Like 1

I cant imagine "clumps" of flash being a problem in a salute. I would simply have stored it a while longer, in a well sealed container, with some silica-gel. After that it should be good to go in a salute, clumps, or not.

B!

I think I've got an other point of view than most of my posters before, I'm sure that you did everything right and that it was the right thing to throw it out.

I feel like you that it is better not to store flash, make as you need it (if i make flash, i prepare everything untill i really need that flash and then make it and have everything used up in about half an hour).

For your question, I would think that moisture isn't the reason why your flash clumped, ir stored right, i can immagine that it just clumped like normal perc without aka. due to be a fine ground powder. Moisture in air can also be a reason speeding the process up.

• Like 2

I feel like you that it is better not to store flash, make as you need it (if i make flash, i prepare everything untill i really need that flash and then make it and have everything used up in about half an hour).

Oh i think most of us are in agreement, that storing flash isn't the best idea. But he's already had it stored for some time, adding a few days to it, with a desiccant, "just in case" and then using it, i don't think there would be more, or less of a "risk" with it.

B!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have had salutes stored in magazines for years with no problems. Mosture is the killer, not storage.