APC Forum

Diy shell pasting machines and gummed paper dispensers.

jl88

A 200m roll of kraft is like a hardwood log, you`d really struggle to get through it with a knife :)

I know, thats why i put it in the bandsaw. But it IS doable.

B!

Mine wouldnt cope, one with plenty of HP, a sled and a good supply of dry silicon lubricant would stand a chance. Cutting perfectly straight 1/2" slices off a roll is no mean feat, supporting the roll for the last 3-4 cuts would be interesting :)

That pastingmachine is brilliant, Col. Got the design from anywhere or did you come up with it yourself? I'm asking since I would like to see the original design, if any. Looking forward to see it in action, please get back to us when you have the video!

Gonna make one of those for sure :) Got access to a laser as well, so I don't have to test my patience on the bandsaw.

I`d never come across a wooden geared pasting machine so i figured i`d design/build one just for the craic. You could cut the gears by hand, they`ll work without being millimeter perfect.

Mine wouldnt cope, one with plenty of HP, a sled and a good supply of dry silicon lubricant would stand a chance. Cutting perfectly straight 1/2" slices off a roll is no mean feat, supporting the roll for the last 3-4 cuts would be interesting :)

Not sure about the power of the one in our shop. It's meant / equipped to cut steel rods and beams for truck construction / repairwork. Cutting the last slices were, if anything, easier then the first few. Just push it against the backstop, and slide it through the blade. It creates a mess, and i always cut "something else" first. Sacrificial paper, MDF or wood. The lubricant/coolant used for the steel mess up the paper if not cleaned away first. And i cut all i can at that time, since i have to clean it pretty good afterwards, or it would be a wet mess when there is lubricant introduced again.

Anyway, i cant see a wood cutting one not being able to deal with it. Might need to make a wooden cradle to support it all the way around, so it doesn't change shape, seeing as the wood blades have both a wider bite, and larger teeth... Hell, the band-saw was invented for cutting frozen meat and bone. Cutting paper is no big deal to it. just need to figure out what it takes to make the one you got access to, able to do it, in an as neat way as possible. A table saw should do it to, but i never tried that. And you might have to make multiple cuts, making it hard to be neat.

B!

I have cut rolls of fabric on the bandsaw, table saw and radial arm saw. It's tricky to say the least. I have cut 1.5 in. gummed tape in half on the table saw also.

What helps is running a strip of 2 in. good tape wherever you are going to cut it and cut right through the center of that. It keeps it from unraveling or getting loose... well kinda. The tape helps..

You can make a stop that the tape/paper/tubes whatever runs up against allowing the saw blade to cut to the center only and no deeper then just roll it around against the stop. If you can make it in one smooth motion without wiggling too much it can actually turn out pretty nice. This makes a much better cut than straight through. Of course sometimes it's utter failure no matter what you do. As long as you keep all your digits I wouldn't get too mad. :)

That is a great pasting set up. You have way more patience than i. That's a lot of little cuts.

Edited by calebkessinger

I cut the roll into chunks exactly that way using a nobex miter saw equipped with a 32tpi blade. The roll is supported by 2 conveyor rollers so i can roll it during cutting. The saw base is bolted down underneath the rollers so i had to extend the vertical guide rods to gain the extra height. The cut edges are reasonable but still very rough looking compared to commercially slit tape. The razors on the slitter do a very clean job, the rough sawn edges get trimmed off as the chunk is slit into narrow widths.

@ Zmuro

Heres a pic of the razor blade holders on the slitter, the main body is 25mm x 8mm aluminium bar. Stainless allen headed bolts lock the holders in place and allow for easy spacing and angle adjustment. The blades are registered on hardened steel dowel pins set into the side of the holder and locked in place by an aluminium plate tapped for a stainless countersunk machine screw. The minimum slit width is 11mm, in the pics they are set for 12mm. The rubber band is there to pevent the end spacing shims falling out. The shims/ rubber band help provide an accuracy of +/- 0.1mm, without them its +/- 1mm.

post-10522-0-87138800-1416874962_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The manual saw setup did a reasonable job of cutting this custom 200m x 14mm wide chunk off a 72mm wide roll. I wouldnt want to cut too many a day with this method, one is a decent workout.

post-10522-0-73802300-1419171346_thumb.jpg

Hi B

Its dead straight, maybe a thou or two of wiggle but its not much. The nobex saw rides on 4 vertical guides so it can only go up/down and back/forth. The saw base is set at 90 degrees to the pair of conveyor rollers which allow the donor roll to rotate as its being cut.

I needed the oddball 14mm tape to try out some new gearing on the pasting machine, the quick test of 4 layers (20ft) of the tape on an empty 3" ball shell looked ok.

post-10522-0-62721900-1419177663_thumb.jpg

The manual saw method can take a 3/8" slice from a roll but its not easy. Attached a pic of a new roll (far left), 32mm (leftovers),14mm slice and 3/8" slice.

post-10522-0-12485900-1419217217_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg

I have one but its not great quality with holding the camera in one hand and cranking with the other ;)

Hi Ivars21,

72mm gummed tape is pretty common, i bought a box of 16 rolls (72mm x 200m x 70gsm) off a guy on ebay for £24 incl delivery (bargain). According to the label on the box, it originally came from Packer. I wouldnt want to pay full price for it.

http://www.packer-products.co.uk/P7072CTN-mi.html

Having used the gummed tape on the pasting machine, I actually much prefer 50gsm plain pure kraft. Apart from the cost difference, the wet strength is considerably better so it can handle a lot more tension without breaking. Having a glue box and some method of slitting rolls of paper is more cost effective if you get through a lot of tape.

• Like 1

Cheers, I thought that it's a single roll cut into 4 pieces in that picture. 16 rolls for that price is definitely a bargain.

Can't find any 72mm rolls on ebay at the moment, there are few 70mm, but they are not even close to the price you got them.

Edited by ivars21

The typical price is around £5 per roll, pretty expensive considering its made from recycled paper. What do you need 72mm gummed tape for? 24" shells? ;)

I wish. Not so much of a problem making it, as getting mortar that size :D I will stick with craft and wheat paste myself. Relatively more work though.

Edited by ivars21