APC Forum

***Ball Mill Explosion!***

dagabu

This really isn't a matter of wearing ppe, it's been said plenty of times NOT TO USE GHETTO FUCKING MEDIA, this is a matter of poor decision making on the user end.

This really isn't a matter of wearing ppe, it's been said plenty of times NOT TO USE GHETTO FUCKING MEDIA, this is a matter of poor decision making on the user end.

Perhaps a kinder tone and some words of encouragement for BB?

I understand that this may seem strange to some of you but I think your hands look pretty darn good Buritto. The color, the flesh and sutures all look really good. You will heal fast from this.

• Like 2

Thank you Dag. Wildcherry, I agree that it was a poor choice of media, and clearly said so in my first post on this thread. So, thank you for restating what I've already said. PPE would have made a world of difference though. Please reserve your attitude for someone with the patience to deal with it. I asked Dag to make this thread as a cautionary tale so others don't make the same mistakes which I have. Not for people to offer useless insights which disregard the need for PPE. Thank you for re-reading and understanding the purpose of this thread.
  • Like 1

Your presence here is welcome. Since i cant even stand to watch the images, just scroll past them as fast as i can... What do the good doctor say about recovery? Any "other" significant damages we should know about? I mean, burns are bad and all, but thank god you lost a pinky, not a thumb...

At this point to start arguing over media. You all have to promise me that when i set my self on fire after milling magnalium with steel media, the first thing i get to hear isn't "stupid media, suit your self" coz if it is, i wont stick around after that accident...

No, BB, full support here from Sweden. Get well. Fast.

B!

• Like 1

Japonese are known to have used large glass balls (golf sized) in barrels turned by hand for hours to make BP (Shimizu).

It is generally agreed that the mill emptying phase is known to be very risky. All the "gurus" say they are very gentle at this, and do it slowly. No media coliding, they use their bare hands instead of instruments to get the powder (like Dag did) etc.

Ted K. died a few years ago while emptying the large mill he had. But he might have had a static issue, just like Dag IMO.

All in all, in your case it was the either the balls slamming too hard and pinching the BP, causing enough friction or impact energy to lead to ignition, or it could have been static as some suggested. Either way I'm afraid glass marbles can't behave any better then (certain) ceramics so using ceramics would pose the same risk IMO.

In fact, any media was known to go off at some point. That was the usual end of a BP factory: nobody ever rebuilt it over the crater it left. Milling BP is a risk just like anyone: eventually certain conditions are met, enough to cause and ignition.

I can't see anything safer then hardened lead, copper/lead cylinders OR brass cylinders. No stainless steel, no ceramics.

Heck, I guess even using wood media could possibly lead to ignition due to the static events.

BP looks tame, but while emtying the mill just think: what IF it goes right in my face? What ELSE do I have that could potentially ignite? Am I really prepared for this?

You can wear your PPE for years. Don't wear it once and you'll get fried. This is the way usually, the time when Murphy's laws would kick in.

We are all very gratefull for being so open with this. Doing the anouncement so quickly as you were worried about the community surely shows you are brave and altruistic. Brave because you knew you will be criticized. To those who do it: it won't help him at all, and you make yourself look silly. Better learn from it.

Having said that, I wish you a full and quick recovery. After all, the pinky is nothing: it could have been much worse. Your wounds will heal and you will likely be able to use the hand as before. You've done a great thing letting us know about your accident and believe me or not there are at least a few that pray for you.

Thank you BB.

• Like 1

Thank all of you guys very much for the support it means a lot to me, seriously. I am currently being discharged from the hospital. :D
  • Like 1

Glad to hear you are being discharged today! Good luck with the therapy and recovery.
  • Like 1

This is my first post, and i really wish a fast recovery for BurritoBandido, and also i want to thank him and Dagabu for warning other people to avoid accidents.

I'm going to stop making fireworks until i have all the proper PPE equipment.

P.S (i have been reading the forum for several months)

• Like 2

Holy cow. I can't believe all this is going on. Especially for all you have done for dag. I'm glad you are gonna heal up.
  • Like 1

It scares me how much confinement even a rubber mill jar can provide. For you to have that many lacerations, shrapnel is definitely a problem. Will be building a mill shelter soon. Heal quick!

Jordan

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I hope he recovers soon from his terrible wounds. surely these things makes us deeply reconsider all about fireworks safety

• Like 1

I take Dagabu's word on it any day. I still haven't watched the images, i cant stand glancing at them even. But at this point, Dagabu has some experience in the field. If he says it will heal fast, and well, i'm going to expect BB to be back on track and making things for newyears eve.

(If that doesn't happen, i'm going to blame you Dagabu. Of course, no blame falls on BB.)

No, for real. I'm going to refer to this thread when ever someone suggests using glass marbles as milling media. It should serve as a good warning for anyone thinking about going that route. And it really cant be said enough times. It's no the milling process it self thats the real danger. You aren't going to be standing next to the mill, if it blows up, it blows up. just make sure it doesn't take out anything that is irreplaceable. Ideally we shouldn't be handling the milled stuff manually, but rather pick it up remotely, open, and place it on a screen, on a shaker table. But who here has the room, or can afford that sort of setup.... In hindsight, it might be cheaper then the medical bills, but we all go "it's not going to happen to ME. It's always someone else"

This community... I'm not sure i could go on after something like this had happened to me. (Not that i will have to, as it wont happen to me...See what i did there?)

BB... I dunno. You seam to be at high spirits. I'm guessing that helps. Cant say i understand what your going through, and i don't even know what is "appropriate to say". It's like that cancer sick friend we all got. He looks like a walking dead, and yet the best you can come up with is... "How do you feel?" or "You look good today". The best i got is:

You got continued moral support from here. Get well. Soon.

Cheers mate.

B!

• Like 1

I'm guessing that 2/3rds of APC members are aged 35 and under and I know at that age I would have probably bounced back up and got back on that "horse" after recovery. Now, it just scares the piss out of me when I read about these incidents and puts doubt in my mind about continuing this hobby. It's sure gonna make my heart pound when I unload that next batch of BP.

Been eyeballing a Fisher F3 metal detector lately. Seems like a much safer pastime for an old fart like me. :blush:

• Like 1

I'm guessing that 2/3rds of APC members are aged 35 and under and I know at that age I would have probably bounced back up and got back on that "horse" after recovery. Now, it just scares the piss out of me when I read about these incidents and puts doubt in my mind about continuing this hobby. It's sure gonna make my heart pound when I unload that next batch of BP.

Been eyeballing a Fisher F3 metal detector lately. Seems like a much safer pastime for an old fart like me. :blush:

Well, that's one way to look at it.

On the other hand, oldsters like us don't have to worry about little kids being dependent on us... or even about being "cut down in the prime of life"! ;-D

My grandma was dead ten years before she reached my age... and though the others lived longer, well, they all died of one form of cancer or another, and I spent more than twenty years as a smoker until I quit just a couple years ago.

For that matter, I had emergency surgery in my twenties for something fatal that wouldn't have been detected until autopsy if I'd had been stricken only a decade or two earlier. So I figure I shoulda been dead then... and every year I've had since then has been a bonus!

... Not really that fatalistic. I just tell myself, "Be smart, be careful, don't ignore the wealth of good advice you'll find here... and for Gawd's sake wear your PPE!!"

-- Paravani

• Like 1

Not really, been there done that. Ground nesting bees, rattlers, ticks and chiggers. Reduced me to metal detecting CW relics to late fall and winter and very early spring.

• Like 2

Not really, been there done that. Ground nesting bees, rattlers, ticks and chiggers. Reduced me to metal detecting CW relics to late fall and winter and very early spring.

LOL!

Bees, rattlers, ticks and chiggers, oh my! If that's metal-detecting, I think I'll stick to nice, safe fireworks any day of the week!

;-D

-- Paravani

• Like 1

LOL!

Bees, rattlers, ticks and chiggers, oh my! If that's metal-detecting, I think I'll stick to nice, safe fireworks any day of the week!

;-D

-- Paravani

Got those around here too....well, not rattlers, but snakes nonetheless.

Suffice to say most anything we do has some risk, even daily routines. Can't live in a protective bubble your entire life and we by nature are curiously challenged and risk taking beings. It's how we approach that challenge that makes or breaks us.

• Like 1

Yea, you could be flying in a plane and all of a sudden snakes come out!!

Now, that one is easy to "fix" just yell "Hey! Keep your pants on... Freak!"

For some reason i think we sidetracked the more serious topic of the thread.

Not sure tho. Panty-snakes are if not deadly, more then capable of ruing a good vacation.

B!

• Like 2

BB probably could use some cheering up but yes, the thread got sidetracked a bit.

About those snakes in the cockpit, it has happened. Not to me but a fellow pilot who keeps his homebuilt in a barn. At least he didn't have mice in it.

From what I heard, the garter snake was forcibly ejected from the craft at about 1000 ft AGL. Take offs are optional, landings mandatory. ;)

• Like 2

Guys, I really appreciate everything, and Bobosan thank you for keeping the thread on topic. My spirits are up. I am grateful to be alive with the ability to hear and see with 9/10s of my fingers still intact. I could've caught a marble with my throat, and I feel incredibly lucky. The intended purpose of this thread is to encourage safe milling proceedures. I asked Dag to create it so that everyone would know what I did wrong and posted my pics to illustrate the consequences of my poor decisions. Thank you very much for the concern though. There are some really great people here at APC. Edited by BurritoBandito

​We are pulling for you BB, keep up the good spirits and take your pain meds, you heal faster when your body doesn't have to work on pain management.

• Like 1

I'll be adding you to my prayers BB. God be with you for a fast recovery. I's sad to hear about our friends getting hurt but it's important to post any and all injury's here so others don't make the same mistake or at least know what can happen. I'm very sorry to hear about your accident BB, your a good guy.

God Bless to all of you!

Mike

• Like 3

I bet he yelled, "I am sick and tired of the freaking snakes on the freaking plane! I am going to open some windows!"

I'm so sorry to hear this happened BB. As everyone has said, thank you so much for sharing what you can and being open about your accident, and also I think Dag deserves a pat on the back for facilitating this and being a loyal conduit of information, and unfortunately experienced words of wisdom on this topic.

The pictures look to me like that must have been chaotically terrifying at the time, a lot of pain, and while I'm sure they still hurt a lot, I agree that they look likely to heal up fast and well.

Best regards

• Like 1