APC Forum

4th of July inv...

jointluver

I'm going to be in New orleans for my uncles wedding on the fourth so I'm limited to sparklers...but I'm making some nice green and glitter sparklers and some senko hanabi.

when I say nice...I mean thicker than the usual kind you see... like need a wooden dowel type thick although I'm going to have only 10 of those and 100 or so normal size...time to go get kabob sticks again :P

So far

(5) C6 egg shells

(5) 3" D1 shells

(26) color to report tubes waiting for flash

(1) 80x500mm can shell, Farfalles. 150:51 (BP:Mg turnings)

(5) BP rockets with extra tail =)

I don't have much, because I'm not here for the 14th. (Here in France it is the 14 :D)

so far I have a batch of about 100 Lancester red stars half inch...uhhh and a batch of BP (that isnt good for lift yet :blink: )

We don't have the 4th up here in Canada, but we have Canada Day July 1. It's a Tuesday this year, so i'm not sure what I'll be doing... I still have a few shells left over from my last shoot:

8-1" cylinder shells-various colours,TT,white glitter

2-3" ball shells, TT and a white strobe I think.

I may slap together some mines and maybe a few fountains, and a few more 3" shells.

Ofcourse we don't celebrate the 4th of July here, but I will fire some small stuff:P Mostly testing new stuff actually. I will be lighting a few wheels (color-changing), and some mines with stars I haven't used before.

it's so refreshing to see a thread about 4th of july stashes that aren't a list of cases and cases of product.

i'm still stuck on 1.4 production shows because i ran out of money to buy chems (far too many 1.4 commitments this year for this economy), but i'm trying to add as much as i can from the home made side of things. so far i've built a few star mines, hoe to make a few willow shells, but this close to the 4th i can't make any promises...i've got about 30 cases of 1.4 i need to get squared away first.

it's so refreshing to see a thread about 4th of july stashes that aren't a list of cases and cases of product.

i'm still stuck on 1.4 production shows because i ran out of money to buy chems (far too many 1.4 commitments this year for this economy), but i'm trying to add as much as i can from the home made side of things. so far i've built a few star mines, hoe to make a few willow shells, but this close to the 4th i can't make any promises...i've got about 30 cases of 1.4 i need to get squared away first.

1.4 production.???.....sparklers and shit 1.4 isnt in my vocab I'm not quite sure what you mean here by your stuck 1.4 production because economy. That makes NO sense to me :blink: ; maybe I just miss understood something here.

I think he means he has a load of commercial fireworks to fire, 1.4 is refering to the DOT clasification with 1.4 being fireworks anyone can purchase and 1.3 being professional devices.

I think he means he has a load of commercial fireworks to fire, 1.4 is refering to the DOT clasification with 1.4 being fireworks anyone can purchase and 1.3 being professional devices.

exactly.

usually this time of year is great for me, i'minthe home improvement business and with spring comes lots, and lots of customers fixingthier homes.

unfortunatley gas is $4 a gallon, and the talking heads int he media have convinced everyone that we are in the great depression 2.0 so everyone is affraid to buy anything right now.

therefore my paychecks are suffering.

prior to this realisation i had made all sorts of plans with all sorts of people to buy all sorts of goodies for our big 4thof july show.

unfortunatley when it came time to cut something outof the lineup it was the chems and tools and hemi's i need to make some homemade stuff.

i had already promised our shooting group i'd be purchasing quite a few cases of 1.4 consumer product for our big show. can't skip on that. so i'm sorta locked in and can't make any purchases till around august/september.

but i have a ton of 1.4 cases ready to fire off for the show, complete with a couple candle fans that'll send up 600 salutes in about 20 seconds for part of our finale.

should be EPIC.

once everything shows up and we start e-matching everything i'll be sure to take some pictures of it all. you guys are gonna think i'm crazy :lol: . but we have a lot of fun during the 4th.

1.4 salutes? Are they just 30 years old or something ive never heard of.....

As long as they fall within the charge-weight limits imposed by 1.4 regulations, yes, you can have 1.4 salutes.

And some of them are rather impressive.

Not sure what they're made out of, though....

1.4 salutes? Are they just 30 years old or something ive never heard of.....

well i'm sure you are all aware that there's 1.4 thats compliant, and there's 1.4 that isn't. this just so happens to be 1.4 that isn't.

i racked up 120 5 ball salute candle into 2 fans of 60. SM them and have them set to all go on one cue twords the end of the show.

Yeah, there exists a fair bit of 1.4 non-compliant.

I didn't mention it because I didn't want everyone running to their favorite fireworks stand to ask "Hey, where's the good stuff, *wink* *wink*".

If you've been a long-time customer of one place, you'll often get it offered to you on the side anyway.

At least, so I hear. Not that I'VE ever been offered same, of course. No, never. Hasn't ever happened at all...... :rolleyes:

I have to say I've been impressed with some recent 1.4 offerings here in Texas. The manufacturers are really pushing the envelope, plus they are getting inventive. They overcome the size issue by turning them into cakes or repeaters, and by the time the loads all get up there in the sky, the combined light and sound is very nice indeed.

Yeah, there exists a fair bit of 1.4 non-compliant.

I didn't mention it because I didn't want everyone running to their favorite fireworks stand to ask "Hey, where's the good stuff, *wink* *wink*".

If you've been a long-time customer of one place, you'll often get it offered to you on the side anyway.

At least, so I hear. Not that I'VE ever been offered same, of course. No, never. Hasn't ever happened at all...... :rolleyes:

i was actually quite shocked to learn that there was so much out there. most of it is down south, hard to find up here where i'm at, but i got ahold of a guy who had enough to part with.

if i want anymore i gotta drive down to "almost florida"

:lol:

lucky enough to get a case of 1.75's and a case of thoes candles before he decided to go into hoarding mode for his own show.

I should have 12 - 1lb BP 3" salute rockets, 3 - 1lb BP rockets with Ti whistles to reports, and another half dozen BP 1lb star header rockets. Then I will have about 4 each red and green 1lb rockets with 4" ball headers on them. A 6" ball shell, and I am going to try some 1 gallon creamoras this year. More if I have enough time....

Then I will have several kits of Excalibur shells, 4 or 5 500 gram cakes, lots of other reloadables and about $300 more worth of various commercial pyro.

I only had about 3 weeks to make all my pryo, thus the reason I have so little homemade stuff.

I will have a pic of everything together before I shoot it

And of course video...

ST1DinOH:

Yeh I am in Florida. As a matter of fact, I am about 10 minutes drive from Neptune/TNT fireworks. I am always amazed at the fact that people will pay an insane price for crappy fireworks from a stand on the side of the road when this plant is right up the road, with GOOD stuff and fair prices. Hell, right now they have that buy one get one free deal.

ST1DinOH:

Yeh I am in Florida. As a matter of fact, I am about 10 minutes drive from Neptune/TNT fireworks. I am always amazed at the fact that people will pay an insane price for crappy fireworks from a stand on the side of the road when this plant is right up the road, with GOOD stuff and fair prices. Hell, right now they have that buy one get one free deal.

tnt sux ass by the way. and the buy one get one free deal is bullshit. I rather buy from a stand then ever step foot in a tnt or phantom

ST1DinOH:

lol...k1ley4evr kinda beat me too it but i'll pile on anyway.

TNT and Phantom are horrible choices for retail. in the last 3 years i've seen nothing but complaints from thier customers on other forums bitching about the very few "good" items being changed for the bad. what they've done is water down all thier best sellers and still charge the same, or in most cases more, for the same label.

all retail is a "scam" per sey when you have acess to wholesale. bogo's and shopping members clubs and all this VIP crap are just ways to trick the "less informed" pyro's out there that they are the better deal.

in fact all phantom does is exponentially increase thier prices, then offer the cakes at "bogo".

it's one of the oldest sales tricks in the book.

bottom line is i can buy 500 gram cakes for $10-$15 a piece purchasing wholesale.

phantoms latest price increases have them at what...$130 for 2 cakes?

thier markups are insane and thier VIP programs are insulting to say the least.

do yourself a massive favor and get into some wholesale purchasing in your area, you will be blown away when you are getting a van load of 1.4 at the same prices a trunk load costs at phantom.

Add another vote to the anti TNT movement.

I have never seen any 1.4g shells that where salutes. Not that where not part of a cake or about 1" ID.

I bought some Red Rhino Side Kicks a few years back thinking Ah these are probably another cheap clay filled cracker with a pinch of slow flash, especially cause you can see they have clay plugs on the ends, with the fuse coming out the side. So I got home and decide to waste em. OMG them things were powerful! I figured there would be no way to get htat kind of explosion out of .05g of flash. So I open one up and dump....dump...dump??? how much flash is in here????? They turn out being about 10 times overloaded. And I only bought 2 packs of 12 :(

as of right now i have 4 3" d1 shells 6 2" tt, 12 1" salute shells and a 14shot salute rack but much more to come maybe some comets :P

Nice looking rack in your pic darkness. I hope I can get my 20 shot one filled this 4th and make some good use of it. Its made from those fiberglass 1 7/8 tubes skylighter sells. They are pretty sturdy for being as thin as they are. Good source for making cheap racks if you wanted to make one for the 4th or what not.

At present time I have a 4" ball shell with 1" BP salute inserts, and a 3" ball shell with White Mix to Dragon Eggs. The white mix is part of the formula for Justanotherpyro's golden TT, I used it alone instead of making the TT, it looks nice. I have a little checklist out in the shed of everything I'm working on, cant remember whats all on the dang thing though! I only remember a couple things off of it:

3" can shell chrysanthemum #8 to bottom shot

4" ball shell Fish golden glitter w/ modified blue inner pistil

4" can with two 1" can shell inserts

cake-ish type thing, 3 starmines and 3 shells, undecided as to what comps to use

4" can Reeper silver farfalle

4" or 3" ball shell, Reeper silver to Russian Green #1

Thats all I can really remember right now, theres a few more things though. Cant wait for the 4th!