• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 dynomike1

dynomike1

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Blowing Beaver dams, Shooting Cannons, Hunting, making fireworks.Buying guns.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Ok thanks NJ.

There are very few problems that cant be solved with explosives.

Explosives are a bang up job.

#22 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

I guess I'll have to pry my wallet open and order some NaNO3 and some more silica gel. I've got to try this glitter.

I may try using the same comp as a delay in my rocket rather than my usual Win 39J.

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#23 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

OM, try Lloyd's popcorn with coarse MgAl instead of fine AL. It looks identical and works for rocket delays.

#24 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, I like that idea better because I can store my rockets longer without that hygroscopic delay in there.

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#25 dynomike1

dynomike1

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Blowing Beaver dams, Shooting Cannons, Hunting, making fireworks.Buying guns.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

I wonder what that star would look like in a shell of shells?

#26 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

I love coarse mgal in glitters. I have a favorite formula, but not a very representative video. For what it's worth, this would probably make a pretty nice white or silver glitter with potassium nitrate.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#27 dynomike1

dynomike1

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

I am looking for a white or silver glitter with a tail.

#28 ExplosiveCoek

ExplosiveCoek

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Doesn't anyone find it kinda strange that this tiger tail composition, subbed with NaNO3, now suddenly turns into a glitter?

I added quite some metals to tiger tail, mostly titanium and aluminium, but never got this effect.

Quite interesting that coarse MgAl gives these properties.

#29 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Doesn't anyone find it kinda strange that this tiger tail composition, subbed with NaNO3, now suddenly turns into a glitter?

I added quite some metals to tiger tail, mostly titanium and aluminium, but never got this effect.

Quite interesting that coarse MgAl gives these properties.

I don't know if I would consider this a true glitter in the sense that Winokur, Oglesby, and Shimizu tend to describe it.  Though the actual glitter phenomenon is not entirely understood.  I'd consider it more closely related to a brocade, but that's just me.  Try adding coarse MgAl to tiger tail and you'll see this same effect. There's nothing special about the sodium nitrate.  It may resemble a glitter, but it's probably better described as a streamer with delayed ignition of coarse MgAl, which appears to glitter or flash on it's own to some extent.  Titanium and coarse flake Al can show this same effect.  Check out some of the brocade type formulas and you can find the same effect.  I played around developing brocades for a while only to basically reinvent a variant of Chrysanthemum 8 + Ti and Al, and it gives a similar, very pronounced white version of this effect.  Coarse components like charcoal or kinda poorly ground oxidizer can really enhance this phenomenon for some reason.

• pyrokid likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#30 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

I've been looking on PF and elsewhere and have found several glitter comps varying only from charcoal comps by the inclusion of sodium either in nitrate or oxalate form.
I don't know what works best but I like that glitter.

#31 DavidF

DavidF

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Pirotex, your sodium nitrate glitter is getting a lot of attention online, congratulations! I remember your sweet dreams rocket, also sodium nitrate-based. Could you tell us how you prime the stars? Many of us wonder how you deal with the hygroscopic nature of sodium nitrate. Any detail on that would be grateful received- and thanks.

#32 Pirotex

Pirotex

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

DavidF, I don't use prime for that glitter.

For sunrise yellow 75/15/10 +5% magnalum + 5% dextrin

Edited by Pirotex, 20 March 2017 - 02:12 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FlaMtnBkr