50 replies to this topic

#41 DavidF

DavidF

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Well, I can see you guys just came to talk semantics, and not about a pyro need. I'll let you back to it and do something else.

#42 wildcherryxoxo

wildcherryxoxo

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Sheesh!

Being that I am an "it" (or woman, whichever Lloyd meant to be the worse insult), you'd expect ME to be the one with the out of control emotions! *shrug*

Anyway, I'm glad we are back on track, "the starch" that is mentioned in the video is boiled, and probably pre-gelatinized, and it makes some damn fine black match. I am willing to bet it would work 'ok' in stars, but considering the extra effort in preparing it, I would lean on more traditional "dry" binders.

#43 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

Sheesh!

Being that I am an "it" (or woman, whichever Lloyd meant to be the worse insult), you'd expect ME to be the one with the out of control emotions! *shrug*

Anyway, I'm glad we are back on track, "the starch" that is mentioned in the video is boiled, and probably pre-gelatinized, and it makes some damn fine black match. I am willing to bet it would work 'ok' in stars, but considering the extra effort in preparing it, I would lean on more traditional "dry" binders.

Nothing personal because you are only one among millions, but why are you a fucking asshole?

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#44 wildcherryxoxo

wildcherryxoxo

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Oldmarine-

No offense taken (IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!)

Just callin em like I see em, being politically correct isn't very high on my priority list.

#45 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Nothing personal because you are only one among millions, but why are you a fucking asshole?

Not to sure, but that is the general tone of the posts from this human being. If it was more active, i'd consider it a troll, but...

B!

#46 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Don't let idiots drag you down to their level. They will beat you with experience.

That's all I have to say. None mentioned, none forgotten.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all speak nicely to each other, and respect each others different experiences and the questions that emerge from that?

And, of course, also respect the answers of more experienced people.

Edited by Ubehage, 26 January 2017 - 08:38 PM.

One minute in the USA is the equivalent of 60 seconds in Africa.

#47 calebkessinger

calebkessinger

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Making tools, Cannons, Rockets

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

What the hell just happened.  :)

so..

what again is the starch doing in the match?  

I'm confused

clarity please.  :)

www.woodysrocks.com 
Pyro tools made by a pyro.
Light it up!
https://www.youtube....LBbbcufSqUn48bA

#48 starxplor

starxplor

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

What the hell just happened.  :)

so..

what again is the starch doing in the match?  

I'm confused

clarity please.  :)

Having never made match myself, I was under the impression from other sources that it helped keep the slurry homogeneous while running the string through. This as opposed to the bp 'settling' causing wetter string with less bp a the end of the line compared to the beginning, breaking the cardinal rule of fireworking, 'consistency'

Again, to clarify, this is not from any experimental or theoretical source, this is just what I have read others say (much like most of the info I get here).

#49 DavidF

DavidF

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

Do you think the starch could replace dextrin in any formula?

So, this is what I saw as the deviation from the subject at hand. The ensuing discussion seemed to be about binders in general, and not about match. There seemed to me to be much confusion on the part of Fotia about the starch. I felt that this confusion arose from the various pieces of extraneous information added afterward. I now have no idea what it is that Fotia is trying to get an answer to. Lloyd's mad, Wildcherry seems to be his reason for it, Caleb's confused, and I'm just a guy wondering why folks need to go to so much trouble to find things to disagree about. Is life too good that we need to turn over rocks to see what's underneath?

Can anybody else comment on the use of ARGO laundry starch in the application depicted in the VIDEO from personal experience without talking about stars, baking, and other things that don't apply?

• NeighborJ likes this

#50 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:51 AM

Caleb,

The starch is the binder.  Laundry starch is a converted food starch, not 'raw'.  It is a weak but effective binder for things that don't require a lot of strength.

David,

Lloyd is not mad.  I know where and when to 'waste' my time.  Arguing with people about a simple matter that was explained no less than four times seems a fruitless endeavor.  I have more than enough to do (yes, with pyro); burning effort and time reiterating simple facts to folks who know nothing of the art, but who still deny the facts isn't a productive use of my day.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd, 27 January 2017 - 05:52 AM.

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#51 calebkessinger

calebkessinger

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Making tools, Cannons, Rockets

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Lloyd.  :) 

I have to admit I haven't watched the vid.. but did listen that he was using starch and liked it. 

www.woodysrocks.com 
Pyro tools made by a pyro.
Light it up!
https://www.youtube....LBbbcufSqUn48bA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users