Random luck

OrionSpectre

What should I do with the motor?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with the motor?

• Option A
    • Option B
    • Other

Where can I find the terminology for these things on the forum? I recall finding a glossary of sorts (other than the Formulatory Database), but I can't find it.

Onion,

Find what things? Glossaries are usually available, but we have to know what it is you need to know.

Even though I disdain a lot of what they do, the Kosankes have published a useful glossary of pyrotechnic terms.

Lloyd

This is in the stickies in the pyrotechnics section here and I still find it useful:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/3282-list-of-pyro-chemicals-and-terms/

Thank you, Marine.

Onion,

Find what things? Glossaries are usually available, but we have to know what it is you need to know.

Even though I disdain a lot of what they do, the Kosankes have published a useful glossary of pyrotechnic terms.

Lloyd

Onion... um...

I'll admit, on my phone I thought it was Onion as well!

The best part is today, I was stylizing my name during my free time in class, went off to sharpen my pencil, came back and heard "onion?" from an adjacent table, I looked and a girl was looking at it trying to make heads or tails of it,so it seems the mistake is common and universal.

On a completely different note, my art skills need improvement, and this did not at all play a role in that misreading. Nope, not at all, no way, it totally didn't.

This isn't Xbox live with those weird default names. But, otto, I am inclined to agree, Orion is my favorite constellation, this was a critical role in the selection of my alias. Plus it sounds cool, I'll be honest here, that was just as critical.

Also, Marine, I just love your signature. It's so funny, yet so true.

Also, Marine, I just love your signature. It's so funny, yet so true.

He's most likely not that Old if he was here after dirt. Now Orion is old.. :o I am talking about the constellation of course.....................Pat

Actually, should I have spelled it as "Spectre" or "Specter"? It's kind of a regional thing, US English vs. UK English (Or old English, if you want to go that way), Aluminum vs. Aluminium, color and colour, etc., but which is more practical?

Edited by OrionSpectre

• 4 weeks later...

The plan for the test area is moving ahead, can someone give me a list of safety equipment? I'm not just saying extinguishers, I want to know each last detail, what kind, what size, how many, how to store it/them safely that allows for quick access, from common sense to rare knowledge. Also, other equipment- gloves, masks, goggles, clothes... What do I need?

Is the plan still to start small with static fired KNO3/Sugar rockets? I don't know that each individual device will have different sets of personal protective equipment, but things change with scale and the area of spark and fire risk.

The most important thing is that you'll actually wear PPE. It's not good if it's uncomfortable and inconvenient and you're likely to skip it. For shooting you'll all cotton clothing covering all extremities. Jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt will usually do. I prefer something a little more robust like a work shirt instead of something like a long sleeved t-shirt. Close toed robust shoes are also helpful, like work boots or leather shoes. Any shoe is better than nothing, but breathable running shoes aren't going to give much protection. You still want good mobility though. Eye protection is a must. Some sort of leather work gloves are also helpful. A hard hat will also be good. Hearing protection will also be your friend. Even if the device isn't intended to be loud, it always has that chance. Maybe other people will weigh in about face shields. I have mixed opinions as to their necessity.

When shooting real shows some with opt for stuff like baclavas, turn down gear, nomex clothing, etc. What I described before is what I'd consider to be the minimum for testing. If you were going to be in a show situation, there are additional things to consider.

If I missed anything feel free to add or correct.

I have a pair of all cotton Dickies coveralls I wear when there's a chance of fire along with a nomex baclava since I have a whole bunch of hair on my head and face and would like to keep it. I prefer a face shield to goggles because the latter tends to block your peripheral vision and constantly want to fog up on me.

As Mumbles stated, get you some muffs or earplugs. I had my ears ringing for hours after a ½" rocket catoed right about ear level.

A giant safety factor is enforcing your safety routine when it comes to onlookers. Keep them a safe distance away unless they are wearing PPE and following the rules!

Maybe a solid helmet? Of course, not cheap plastic or anything liable to melt on one's skin, burn and scar them, but a good quality one. I find balaclavas are uncomfortable, but I will use one if nothing else cuts it.

If you don't have a ton of hair you'll be fine with a baseball cap. I don't see need of a helmet or hardhat since you'll be the only one lighting things and will know what is going where. Your eyes and fingers are the most important to protect.

Then, what kind of extinguisher and how many?

So, basically, if it all goes wrong, hose it down? You're telling me to hose down rocket fuel? Is it really that simple?

Water is the ONLY acceptable suppressant for pyrotechnic goods. I only included the ABC extinguisher because certain state agencies require them, even though they're ineffective against pyro. I keep the ABC's because the state Fire Marshal requires them, but right next to each one is a 2.5-gallon pressurized water extinguisher. I'll grab the water before the ABC, EVERY TIME.

And even with water on-hand, you need to consider whether or not it's worth it to fight the fire, or just retreat, and let it "do it's thing".

We have an ABSOLUTE rule in the factory, that if ANY fire ignites in pyrotechnic goods, NOBODY is to fight the fire, but simply evacuate the area and let it burn, until it is clear that all pyrotechnic materials that could have been involved have already burnt.

Structures can be replaced. Lives cannot.

Lloyd

You'd think the ones harder to make and package would work better. Simple solution is often the best.

Also, factory?