Random luck

OrionSpectre

What should I do with the motor?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with the motor?

• Option A
    • Option B
    • Other

Enroll in college to become an explosives engineer and do pyro the rest of your life. Plenty of days left there youngin. :)

There is no shame in having people who care nor is there anything wrong with being young. I believe most of us here are in this hobby because it is an escape from the hustle and bustle of our adult lives which makes us feel like a kid again. TRUST ME when I say don't blink because the burdens of adult life are just around the corner and you'll be wishing you were back in your mothers safety net without the troubles of life. This forum will be here and you are always welcome here. It may not be as exciting but there are things you can learn here which don't require oxidisers. Colored fires, sparking steel wool and many other simple devices which can help give you a fix.

Well, all I'm saying is that I live in the country, a suburb in, where only Texas state law applies, not city ordinance, so the only thing keeping me from it is my mother and father. But you can't really blame them, can you? I understand completely why they are so hesitant, I mean the things we fast-burning fuel that sparks, explosions, burning stars, all of the above being homemade, the possibility of FBI/NSA/generic government law enforcement involvement (let's be honest, it's a little suspicious when somebody buys stump remover on a weekly basis, who needs that much for its intended use?) and the list goes on and on... I see their point pretty clearly. Oh, well, I'll just keep asking. Actually, now I'm curious and worried, can someone tell me what attracts the police to one's doorstep (besides, of course, destructive devices, I may have a rough idea how that will go) so if I start manufacture and use, I won't attract said police onto aforementioned doorstep?

Or is there a topic for that someone can link to?

Spectre,

Nothing attract police (in rural areas) except complaints from neighbors. Explosion noises are one of those things that generate complaints.

Lloyd

Utilizing sketchy suppliers may also attract attention. This happened to me about 12 years ago. I bought a relatively innocuous chemical from someone on Ebay, and got a visit from the FBI, ATF, and USPS a month or two later. It did have an explosive application, but nothing related to what I was planning with it, and no more so than any other handful of household materials. Apparently the person in question had attracted some unwanted attention himself and they were tracking his transactions and activities.

That makes sense. Thank you.

So what you're saying is don't buy from a man who looks like a crack dealer? Sounds reasonable.

Another thing which attracts attention is selling or even giving these devices to friends. I get asked almost every time I reveal my hobby to someone if I'd sell them some. The answer must always be no. But it's also important to not go blabbing to everyone about your hobby.

NEVER EVER sell anything the ATF regulates. That includes alcohol and tobacco.

Everything the ATF regulates you can make for yourself but if you sell it you will attract attention.

Hehe, no one asks to buy fireworks from me because they know I'll come give them a free show at the merest hint of interest!
  • Like 1

"NEVER EVER sell anything the ATF regulates."

=-----=

OK, Stringed-Instrument Player from China,

Explain how I can sell things ATF regulates, and they don't hassle me?

I even talk about it openly in front of them and other law-enforcement agencies! No hassles!

Lloyd

• Like 1

Lloyd said it.. Booms will get you found eventually. :) whether it be Cannons, Tannerite , salutes or other things you will probably get a visit by the local cops eventually if you do more than one or two at a time. The neighbors call and complain after a while. :)

If you just make rockets, and regular shells and don't have neighbors sitting on top of you it might be no one ever complains or even cares. Gerbs, Saxons, and other ground devices and small rockets can be pretty darn fun! Following Ned's 101 videos should show you that.

Start calling around to the local fireworks show shooters and get yourself on the list to help them. They use lots of young labor to set up shows and are always looking for help. I would assume you have to be 18 but it sounds like you are getting close.

Hehe, no one asks to buy fireworks from me because they know I'll come give them a free show at the merest hint of interest!

Now, that is something i sort of have been wondering about. I mean, we all know ATF sort of frowns on hobbyists selling home-made devices to the public. But, what if you sell a service, using home made devices? As a hobbyist, it's not really feasible with the insurances, and hired staff, a company rolls with, so i'm going to just ignore that. But the fireworks them self. You, and a few mates make them. You and a few mates set up a show, shoot them, and get paid for your expenses, and the "trouble" it has caused you. That should still be legal, i think? (Again, curiosity. It's not applicable where i live. Hobbyist making fireworks just isn't legal here. The (very) few that managed to get permits for small scale production on a hobby level is prohibited from making anything with colors anyway, since EU decided (per)chlorates is a precursor for high explosives, and banned them for everyone, but companies. So, no flash, no colors. No fireworks.)

B!

I am fourteen years of age, I live in a moderate-sized home outside city limits with a nicely sized backyard which I believe to be a great potential small-scale testing area, I have never been in contact with or even seen any pyrotechnic device or substance that is or was homemade, illegal, excessively powerful, or created or sold by an unofficial, untrustworthy or otherwise illicit entity. That is to say, my experience with such dangerous items is limited.

Now, concerning my parents, yesterday evening, I spoke with my parents on the subject for perhaps the first time in a month. Among the points made were as follows:

We spoke on the topics of cost, method and evolution of testing, legality, neighborhood approval, timeframe, and safety. We (at least I) determined that the cost would likely be low if we chose the smart option and started out small. We came to a consensus that if we undertook this, we would first construct a testing platform from the "refractory concrete" mixture of Plaster of Paris and sand. An advantage to this, which sadly went without being discussed, is that if a portion of this failed, we could simply repair it by removing the compromised area and pouring more in. (If anyone sees major flaws with this method, please inform me.) We agreed that the process of testing would evolve as small static fire test to gradually larger amounts and different materials. To avoid police investigation and intervention, we agreed to consult our neighbors about the tests. Finally, it was agreed that the closest time we could begin, if we did, was a month in advance, and I presume that time could be spent finding safety equipment.

(Man, this was a chore to type, on a phone, while walking, over the span of an near an hour. I think I went overboard with the eloquence, but I like to communicate this way.)

You stated your plan pretty well. One adverse thing about your 'refractory' is that Plaster of Paris deteriorates over time, if it remains wet or is exposed to high humidity for long. It effloresces, and sheds mass continually. Weak concrete (mostly sand) would be a better choice, being just as 'blast absorbent' and just as easy to repair. It's probably less expensive, too!

If your parents are on board (and even better if they become involved), then other than whatever local ordinance might say about the activity, I think it sounds like a plan.

And please: Don't EVER apologize for using your language well. We've lost that art in this country.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Maybe the mix could be encased in a weather resistant layer, thus only being exposed to the elements when needed and quickly repaired.

Why? Portland Cement is cheaper than Plaster of Paris, and if mixed appropriately, it's the called out 'absorptive barrier' for Type 1 magazines! (of which we have only one, and it's so-equipped with an 8" layer of such material in the ceiling and filling the cavities of the block walls).

The amount per unit of sand is very small, it doesn't 'kick' as quickly as plaster (so you have longer to work), and is available at every home center and hardware store.

Mixed in the right proportions, it shovels like wet sand, is easy to spread and tamp, and cures to a frangible solid you can easily pick-away at with a screwdriver, by hand.

And finally -- it's weather-proof!

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

You stated your plan pretty well. One adverse thing about your 'refractory' is that Plaster of Paris deteriorates over time, if it remains wet or is exposed to high humidity for long. It effloresces, and sheds mass continually. Weak concrete (mostly sand) would be a better choice, being just as 'blast absorbent' and just as easy to repair. It's probably less expensive, too!

If your parents are on board (and even better if they become involved), then other than whatever local ordinance might say about the activity, I think it sounds like a plan.

And please: Don't EVER apologize for using your language well. We've lost that art in this country.

Lloyd

Also, I'm only going to do it if my parents are completely for it and I will give the option to back out at any time due to the risks.

Another thing, I understand how you feel, and seeing emojis and horrid spelling and 12-year-olds saying "fite meh boi lol u wont," I want to turn off the internet as a whole.

• Like 1

Seems reasonable, I'll have to think on it.

So, Lloyd, please tell me, do you know of a way to make concrete smooth, like the way you would find it in a garage or warehouse? Does it have to do with air bubbles, or must one simply pave and polish after it has set?

Smoothing concrete is a process called "troweling".

When concrete is first placed, a process called 'floating' smooths it relatively level, and brings some Portland and water to the surface to help fill major imperfections. As soon as it has visibly absorbed all the standing water (but before it starts to cure hard), the application of a steel trowel to the surface brings more of the Portland and water to the surface, fills in minor voids, and allows a fairly-smooth surface, even when very wet.

As it begins to 'kick' (starts to cure), HARD troweling will actually polish the surface. One can actually bring up a "shine" on concrete. It takes some practice, but isn't technically-difficult. I have an 1100 sq. ft. work area in my barn that has been 'machine troweled' (the machine is basically three large steel trowels on a motor to spin them around rapidly). It's so shiny it looks like pretty 'finished' floor.

The rest of my other 2000' of enclosed work areas are just 'floated' and first-troweled... smooth-surfaced, but not polished. They're smooth enough to be broomed-clean, but not shiny.

That leaves almost 5K sq. ft. to finish with concrete... and I plan to pour the whole thing, step by step.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

Is the concrete/plaster/refractory area just basically a fireproof test area or is it more of a work area? If if it just for testing, you may want to think about what you'll be testing. I'd advise to start small and with relatively benign devices (gerbs, wheels, star mines, etc.). Most of these will need to be secured in some manner, which may make concrete not the best solution. Is the plan to have a container of sand, clay, earth or what have you to place onto the concrete area?

If you and your parents are concerned about fires and the like generally soaking down the grass in the area to be tested on with water followed by securing the device into the earth or into a suitable container is sufficient. You and your family know the intricacies of your land better though. I'm just thinking out loud as what has been discussed seems like more work than may be necessary. It would seem that a bucket of sand or a sandbox or making a platform out of bricks or cinder blocks would accomplish a similar feat with less effort and be easily removed.

Is the concrete/plaster/refractory area just basically a fireproof test area or is it more of a work area? If if it just for testing, you may want to think about what you'll be testing. I'd advise to start small and with relatively benign devices (gerbs, wheels, star mines, etc.). Most of these will need to be secured in some manner, which may make concrete not the best solution. Is the plan to have a container of sand, clay, earth or what have you to place onto the concrete area?

If you and your parents are concerned about fires and the like generally soaking down the grass in the area to be tested on with water followed by securing the device into the earth or into a suitable container is sufficient. You and your family know the intricacies of your land better though. I'm just thinking out loud as what has been discussed seems like more work than may be necessary. It would seem that a bucket of sand or a sandbox or making a platform out of bricks or cinder blocks would accomplish a similar feat with less effort and be easily removed.

I was going to start with very low-powered static fire tests of small KNO3/sugar rocket motors.

I use what I call my NASA Test Stump. It's just a giant slab of wood that I can wet down as needed and I have various sized holes drilled in it to support tubes for testing gerbs rockets and individual stars. It's also sturdy enough to hand ram articles on it.