APC Forum

Experimental rocket fuel

NeighborJ

The AP fuel definitely(as expected) needs a catylist and a longer spindle. It burnt OK in the short spindle I used but had some pulsing or surging which I believe can be smoothed out with the cat. I don't think this motor will work very well without a nozzle, AP needs case pressure to get a descent rate of fuel consumption and I'm afraid it will lift off and simply fall back to earth, still burning without one.

I do believe that Ddewees was right when he suggested to forego the riceing and press the comp dry, the Phenolic does not rice well. What a mess and waste of time.

The 400 micron is about the same size as table salt or a little larger, it burned OK but if I can't get the performance I'm looking for I also have 70 micron which should be plenty fine. I'm simply not comfortable milling it at all after watching the YouTube video of the Pepcon disaster WOW.

I've tried both comps and the plain AP/Phenolic 80/20 and am confident that all three will create great motors once I work the bugs out. In the interest of keeping things simple I think I will concentrate on the 15% Al comp as it certainly had the largest flame. I may also switch to some finer Al because the Alcoa 120 spread metal fire dust everywhere, that may change though as I get higher case pressure.