APC Forum

aspen Charcoal?

MWJ

I'm not sure if this post should be here or in chemistry, but here goes. As some of you know I'm starting to grow some Paulownia (Royal Empress) trees for charcoal. But in the mean time I collected some Willow. I saw a lot of Aspen where I was and was wondering how Aspen C. works for pyro charcoal? I now have 14 Paul. growing on my property and want to try some other woods for charcoal.

Thanks Everyone,

Mike J.

Hi Mike,

Keep an eye on the Paulownia, I was thinking the same thing and read it is a very invasive species. I have not tried Apen, but I did do poplar, I think is a related species. White wood, large grain, easy split, small burn pile was quick, still need to make lift with it, but I am confident It will preform. It's funny, I was thinking about the Paulownia toady as I was riding around and I spotted what I believe some growing on a house lot for sale, very unique looking, seemed similar to photos, I could see lots of dead branches amongst the living, hhmmm.....maybe I could help with some tree care for those folks and clear out the dead wood......... ;) Just kidding ........

Matt

Edited by mkn

Thanks guys! BT thanks for the chart info. and mkn, I would defiantly ask someone about doing the trimming. I know it's an invasive tree but I need more trees on my property anyway. I will be care full about it though. If I can get some wood out of them I will be offering free Paul. wood for shipping only next year or when ever I get them to grow big enough. I also enjoy wood working so I can also make lumber from it too. :) Win, win! I can get ALOT of Aspen but really was after the Willow, just not much there where I got it. Is Willow always small in diameter?

Thanks for the answers guys,

Mike

I found that branches from the pauls that were 1-2" diameter worked best. It's good news because you won't have to cut the whole tree down. But even if you do, pauls will regrow from a stump quite nicely. They'll keep branching out more dense the more you do it. Like people do with crepe myrtles.

Not to mention Paulownia have the most fragrant flowers of any tree I've been around.

MWJ, you'll find Paul wood to be a joy to work with in the woodshop and the grain is beautiful. I've replaced a couple of bayonet grips with Paulownia due to its easy workability.

Edited by Bobosan

Tree of heaven charcoal is super fast....!!

I might look into that too. :) Thanks

I make BP from aspen charcoal, it performs very well and to the naked eye it seems to be a bit faster than willow. Further, aspen is much more abundant where I live so the choice is pretty easy, at least for me.

• Like 1

I make BP from aspen charcoal, it performs very well and to the naked eye it seems to be a bit faster than willow. Further, aspen is much more abundant where I live so the choice is pretty easy, at least for me.

Thanks! I have a lot of Pine and Aspen here so I guess I'll try it. :)