APC Forum

Is ball milling BP necessary for making rockets?

OblivionFall

Hi there, I've never made a BP rocket before but I want to start. I have KN03, Charcoal and Sulphur. I was wondering if ball milling the mixed or unmixed powders before ramming it into the tube would increase the burn rate/effectiveness of the rocket?

Yes, ball milling the BP rocket fuel increases its speed. No, it is not necessary. Many excellent BP rockets are made with simple screen mixed comp.

I can't believe the coincidence, I just posted on Fireworking that I was looking for a non-ball milled BP that would give good performance. Simple screen mix just doesn't cut it for me... I have been looking for a good compromise as well. TR's method looks like a place to start.

I can't believe the coincidence, I just posted on Fireworking that I was looking for a non-ball milled BP that would give good performance. Simple screen mix just doesn't cut it for me... I have been looking for a good compromise as well. TR's method looks like a place to start.

What is TR's method?

Nater is right on.

Screen mixed 6-3-1 is a great starting point. It works well and easily lifts 3" canister shells on 3/4" nozzled motors.

Edited by pyrokid

Steve does not ball mill his BP either, at least that is what he states in his paper work, he how ever ball mills his charcoal.

To be clear, the need for ball milling BP rocket fuel depends on the effect you want from the rocket. Screen mixed 60-30-10 fuel on a standard core burning spindle makes a rocket with a fairly slow, graceful accent. A 3/4" motor should lift a 3" easily and is a nice, traditional rocket. Ball milling adds more "snort" to the motor. A faster ascent with a lesser tail. Lifting power is increased as well. If you need more power and have a press, you can start adding increments of whistle first and finish with BP. In the end, it is up to the effect you want. I just like rockets, and build most types of them for different effects.

Also don't forget to mention that it also depends on the type of rngine you are building. A nozzleless rocket will always require ball milled fuel to give decent rusults. Most nozzled rockets like to cato with a fast ball milled fuel

Also don't forget to mention that it also depends on the type of rngine you are building. A nozzleless rocket will always require ball milled fuel to give decent rusults. Most nozzled rockets like to cato with a fast ball milled fuel

Hmmm, not according to much of the information coming in from other people at fireworking, scratch mix is strong enough for nozzleless. Nozzled? I would like to be able to make a scratch mix that would pop a heavy walled NEPT tube with bottom lighting!

Edited by dagabu