APC Forum

Safely milling Potassium Dichromate

Jordan

I have a pound of granular K2CrO2 that's about the size of large 2FA (4-6 mesh). I have been wanting to mill it down for later use. If I ball mill it how can I reduce the dust to an acceptable level not to poison my neighbors since I live in a relatively residential neighborhood. And if I do what is the best way to clean my mill jar. Since K2CrO2 is soluble in water I'd presume washing it down the drain isn't the best idea. If their is any way to wash it in a tub and then neutralize the remaining water (at a relatively low price) that would be great.

Thanks,

Jordan

It's easier than you would think. Use a sealed grinder and a dust mask, gloves and long sleeves. Have the wind at your side NOT your back, your body creates a low pressure area and draws the dust towards you.

The Rocket, Magic Bullet etc. type blenders keep it all contained. Mill, let it settle, cap it and use as needed. Get a bucket with some warm (not needed, just keeps your hands comfortable) and a couple drops of soap, rinse the blade base and keep it with your pyro stuff, mark it with tape as for pyro use only, dump the water on the ground away from gardens or edible plants, remove the gloves, mask, clothing and properly wash them.

Dichromate is K2Cr2O7 by the way.

The major concern with dichromate is having Cr (VI), which can be carcinogenic and overall not very nice for the body. If you reduce it down to Cr (III) you remove several of these issues. This can be accomplished by acidifying the solution with HCl, and adding in zinc. You'll notice a color change from yellow or orange to green. Sometimes it will turn blue, which is Cr (II), but it will turn back green upon standing in contact with air. I believe some sugars like glucose might work as well.

What specific "issues" are removed by converting it to chromium oxide?

The strong carcinogen characteristics off hexavalent chromium are reduced to a minimum.

You also could use the washing solution to treat some mg if you want.