APC Forum

Help with green star

Merlin

I have not been able to make cut green stars ( they turn out yellow) using this formula. It seems to me there should be some dark aluminum in the formula somewhere. Any suggestions for cut green stars appreciated.

Potassium perchlorate 3

Magnalium 3

Barium Carbonate 2

Parlon 0.15

Red Gum 0.05

Sorry for pervious post tried to paste chart and it didnt work.

I didnt mention but I am using straight acetone to wet comp per skylighter.

Edited by Merlin

Getting a really good green color from barium carbonate alone can be hard. Adding Al to that comp is just going to wash out what little green color there is. Imho you can obtain a far superior green with barium nitrate.

Barium carbonate will make an OK green but your MgAl is too heavy.

Potassium Perchlorate 0.288

Barium Nitrate 0.231

Barium Carbonate 0.144

Parlon 0.144

Magnalium, 50:50 200-mesh 0.106

Red Gum 0.048

Dextrin 0.039

Total 1.00

Edited by dagabu

I use 30 perc 30 mgal 20 barium carb 15 parlon 5 red gum with decent results. Look at the "rainbow of rubber stars" chart on skylighter.

Jake is spot on about the aluminum destroying the color in this formula.

Dag, is that a formula you use?

Edited by rogeryermaw

I use 30 perc 30 mgal 20 barium carb 15 parlon 5 red gum with decent results. Look at the "rainbow of rubber stars" chart on skylighter.

Jake is spot on about the aluminum destroying the color in this formula.

Dag, is that a formula you use?

Yes, it's the Veline Green star formula, Ned also did a full rainbow on "rubber" stars.

Rubber.JPG

Edited by dagabu

Yes, it's the Veline Green star formula, Ned also did a full rainbow on "rubber" stars.

Yes it was from that color chart that I was using. Also using straight acetone to wet comp for cutting

This is the same formula I used in one of my shells in the aerial competition thread. Even in dusky daylight it looks fair. Not great but fair.

I have not been able to make cut green stars ( they turn out yellow) using this formula. It seems to me there should be some dark aluminum in the formula somewhere. Any suggestions for cut green stars appreciated.

Potassium perchlorate 3

Magnalium 3

Barium Carbonate 2

Parlon 0.15

Red Gum 0.05

I did compositions ВаСО3. Same shit... lights yellow.

I think need a stronger source (donor) of chlorine - С2Cl6 or C6Cl6 for this composition.

Edited by Niladmirari

I did compositions ВаСО3. Same shit... lights yellow.

I think need a stronger source (donor) of chlorine - С2Cl6 or C6Cl6 for this composition.

Glad to know I am not the only one to get yellow!!

Rubber.JPG

Ok. I am new. When making Veline comps or Ned's rainbow comps is it customary to use acetone to wet the comp for cutting or would water be best?

Barium carbonate will make an OK green but your MgAl is too heavy.

Potassium Perchlorate 0.288

Barium Nitrate 0.231

Barium Carbonate 0.144

Parlon 0.144

Magnalium, 50:50 200-mesh 0.106

Red Gum 0.048

Dextrin 0.039

Total 1.00

Ok I am going to use this formula. What do you recommend to wet this comp for cutting? Thanks

I would use water . . .that's why the water activated binder is in there.

Thanks to everyone. I finally decided on the Hardt formula. Wet with acetone and cut. Used Hardt prime and double primed with Neds hot igniter prime. Bright green even in full

Sun. Now on to blue and adding bright flake aluminum for effect. Then on to comets and bp rockets when my shells are perfected. Maybe even to multi component rolled stars if I can come up with an efficient way to roll. I am looking for a way to protect the time fuse on paper shells from getting wet during pasting~maybe a perfectly sized drinking straw over the fuse til pasting is finished. Great hobby for a retired

Chemist who is still a kid who loves fireworks..

S

I am looking for a way to protect the time fuse on paper shells from getting wet during pasting~maybe a perfectly sized drinking straw over the fuse til pasting is finished.

S

Merlin,

I have wrapped a couple of layers of kraft paper with masking tape around the fuse , a little longer than the fuse to fold over the top. Then it stays in place till launch day to protect the fuse and prevent accidental ignition.

Matt

Hey marlin, not an answer to your original question but in regards to protecting the time fuse during pasting, the yellow end caps used for timed reports are the perfect size to protect fuse.

Otherwise if you go to your local mechanic they often have similar plugs that get thrown away. They are used to block the inlet and outlet on new fuel filters.

Good luck and have fun. :-)