APC Forum

fiber glassing hemis together

abbykarim

i know that papering is the proven way to do shells but papering the ball shell is so time consuming. has anyone ever tried layering the hemis with roven and then dipping in fiber glass resin and hardener......please forgive me, im new at this and i love the easy way out where possible!

There was a guy some years back that did something similar but found the shells to split instead of breaking. Really messy to make and clean up too. Pasting really is easy, rolling a cut roll of kraft through a paste machine (banjo) makes a continuous wet strip that is torn off at the hemisphere. There are youtube videos of the operation, it takes a worker in China about a minute to paste a 3" shell.

• Like 1

There are youtube videos of the operation, it takes a worker in China about a minute to paste a 3" shell.

They cheat. The cheat is... Work fast, or don't eat.

Pasting is messy, and takes time. Learn to enjoy it. The real alternative is pasting machines, and they range from simple home built things based on a bicycle rim, to fancy stepper motor, and computer-controlled miracles that provide a near perfect even thickness all over the hemisphere.

B!

• Like 1

Unless you can be certain of picking up ALL the pieces paper hemis properly pasted mean that all the debris is biodegradable which means that no-one sees where you have played so you offer one less piece of evidence. Plus there are guide lines for pasting which you can follow saving yourself lots of tests with GRP.