APC Forum

Regional Dishes

nater

Every region has unique food. Tonight, I tried to recreate one of my favorites from the South - Nashville Hot Fried Chicken. The concept is simple, breaded and fried bone-in chicken that is fiery hot. For this attempt, the chicken was brined in a mixture of water, salt, sugar and Frank's Red Hot dissolved in water. Cover and allow to the chicken to marinate for an hour.

While the chicken is in the brine, heat 1/4 cup of oil in a small sauce pan. Stir together 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, pepper, sugar, dry mustard and paprika. Add 1 tablespoon - 4 tablespoons cayenne pepper to taste for the heat. Bloom the mixed spices in the hot oil until they are fragrant.

The breading is just flour, salt and pepper. Heat peanut oil in a dutch oven or other deep fryer to 350 degrees. Coat the chicken in the flour mixture and allow the rest while the oil is heating up. Some of the flour mixture will soak into the moist chicken, turning into a paste. This is okay. When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken again in the flour and place in the fryer. Adjust the heat as needed to keep the oil temperature around 325. Fry the chicken pieces until they are done. Don't crowd the meat or allow the oil to boil over. If you have to cook the chicken in batches, place the cooked chicken on a drying rack placed on a baking try and keep the chicken warm in a 200 degree oven.

Once everything is cooked, brush the oil / spice mixture onto the meat and serve. Nashville tradition is to serve the chicken on a piece of white bread with some pickles. Fries are fine as a side as I pictured. Sweet potatoes and cornbread would be even better.

20140816_232505.jpg

• Like 1

I am now suddenly craving fried chicken at midnight! Thanks Nater...