APC Forum

Caving process?

hummeldike

Yesterday I tried making a rocket with a toilet paper tube filled with R-candy. I took a wooden dowel which was maybe 1/4 inch thick and when I tried launching it, it just made a big smoke bomb and didn't go up at all. My whole yard looked like a foggy haunted house and neighbors were looking out their window almost calling the fire department.

I need to know how much to cave and how to do it.

Thank you.

You started way too big, try making nozzleless bottle rockets at first. Roll a small tube like 1 cm wide, 5-7 cm long. Take some soft rcandy, and fill the tube full of it with dowel (make sure dowel fits loosely in the tube). While it's still soft poke a nail like 60-70% of the way through. Then roll a sausage of rcandy and put it in the hole, to act as the fuse. take a thin stick, and tape it to the side, and make sure that the center of mass is near the bottom of the rocket for stability. Used to make these little fun rockets. These can lift small headers, and that uncored section of rcandy at the top will act as delay, but this is for later. Make sure not to cause any harm. Also note that there is whole lot of literature in the internet about rocketry, pyrotechnics and so on, and this place is not for being spoon fed and this is not your diary. Search for information and read, read, read, and don't clog the forum.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/847/25010404.JPG

Edited by Oinikis
  • Like 2

You started way too big, try making nozzleless bottle rockets at first. Roll a small tube like 1 cm wide, 5-7 cm long. Take some soft rcandy, and fill the tube full of it with dowel (make sure dowel fits loosely in the tube). While it's still soft poke a nail like 60-70% of the way through. Then roll a sausage of rcandy and put it in the hole, to act as the fuse. take a thin stick, and tape it to the side, and make sure that the center of mass is near the bottom of the rocket for stability. Used to make these little fun rockets. These can lift small headers, and that uncored section of rcandy at the top will act as delay, but this is for later. Make sure not to cause any harm. Also note that there is whole lot of literature in the internet about rocketry, pyrotechnics and so on, and this place is not for being spoon fed and this is not your diary. Search for information and read, read, read, and don't clog the forum.

My dowel is a CM thick.

Also, what am I supposed to roll it with?

A toilet paper tube won't work. You have to have a nozzle with sugar motors, not just a cavity to increase burn rate. I would imagine the toilet paper and use would be too thin and burn through the walls.

The answers to questions you're asking lies within the forums, there is no need to ask to be spoon fed. Sorry if I seem harsh, but next time just try searching for info. There is lots of great info in this forum, and the whole internet itself.

Rule number one is don't upset the wife or neighbours. SO go miles away to do tests unless the neighbours are even further away. If the neighbours call the fire dept and the fire dept call the EOD then you are stuck trying to explain things.

• Like 2

There is pretty detailed thread here. Please disregard that on page two I mixed ' and " up in my measurements. They are all intended to be in inches not feet (unless you're wanting to try to for the "Sugar shot to space").

Arthur, I think I broke rule number one. My wife no longer condones my pyrotechnics. I'm trying to gently ease her back into things, but it's quite the challenge. To quote Daniel Tiger "Keep trying, you'll get better. Try, try, try".

Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 1

Burrito. I'm impressed you still want to keep building! Atta boy
  • Like 2

Not knowing how large your core hole was and the size of your nozzel to restrict the pressure of the burn, I would suggest that you start from the begining of rockety, Build up your knowlege as you go using the site that have been shown to you. If you start with the " 5 cent rocket" and work your way up you can have fun at the same time a learning this part of the hobby. Although I doubt that it still cost five cents it is still a cheap learning tool to use. Moving to R-Candy fuel is just a small move from there, with the basic down it should be alot easier to learn.

And Hey it's just my 5 cents worth anyway................................Pat

http://www.scribd.com/doc/163638184/The-Incredible-5-Cent-Sugar-Rocket

http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/pyro_projects.html

• 4 weeks later...

Also, what am I supposed to roll it with?

Buy kraft paper, preferably the heavier kind. Roll the kraft paper around your dowel and strengthen it with wood glue around the ends to strengthen the tube.

Make sure not to cause any harm. Also note that there is whole lot of literature in the internet about rocketry, pyrotechnics and so on, and this place is not for being spoon fed and this is not your diary. Search for information and read, read, read, and don't clog the forum.

Live by this advice.

Also by Arthur's: "Rule number one is don't upset the wife or neighbours. SO go miles away to do tests unless the neighbours are even further away. If the neighbours call the fire dept and the fire dept call the EOD then you are stuck trying to explain things."